What's new
What's new

Butler Shaper

zimbo

Aluminum
Hi Everyone.

Thinking of buying this Butler shaper made in 1939. It does not appear to have a data plate so not sure what model it is. Hoping someone here will be able to identify it. Haven’t had much luck finding much info on PM about them.

I have seen the machine personally but not running. The cost is R13000 rands in Durban South Africa, about USD900, so freight gonna be expensive if they don’t move off the price much. Have yet to use a shaper. It’s destined for my home shop. Seems to be in good nick. Seller forwarded me a video under power and wasn’t making any grating or horrid sounds. He measured the ram and reckons is about 350mm .14”. I have asked him to supply a 8” vice.

Is there anything else I should ask him to check out and look for? Any other questions I should be asking. Not a high priority to buy this machine but would be nice to learn how to use this thing.

IMG_8371.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that he is asking about twice what it is worth but maybe they are hard to come by in your country. There are lots of videos on Youtube on how to run a shaper, it is not difficult.

Running it I will figure out pretty quick am sure esp with loads of youtube content.
Was concerned mainly on price and quality of the machine and what to look out for. Doubt that the dealer knows how to operate the machine well enough to take some cuts.

I was thinking price was quite high when compared to what I hear people pick up shapers for in the states.
A die maker friend of mine down there reckons you should be able to pick them up for about USD 10c/ kg, basically slightly more than scrap value.

Any idea on model and where to get manuals for this machine? Are all shapers similar in parts and operation?
I have sent Tony at lathes UK an email last week, but haven't heard from him yet.

Butler shapers are excellent machines, but the one in the photo might be missing a few important parts. I think there should be a support plate for the front of the table - very important in keeping it rigid for a heavy cut. We have one in our museum which is similar to that one but the universal model, menaing that the table can be tilted etc. We use it mainly for heavy roughing of parts, but it is quite capable of fine work as well. I certainly wouldn't buy the one in the photo without seeing it run and taking a cut as well as ensuring that you have all the parts.

Back