What's new
What's new

c1928 Cincinnati #2M universal miller

Elam Works

Aluminum
Does anyone have a older copy of the "Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery" that would cover Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. before 1930? That seems to be when our copy cuts off.

Have a #2M Cincinnati universal miller that initially thought was in the thirties. But then saw that the subsequent 'Dial Machines' came out as early as 1929. So this miller would have to be 1928 or earlier. Not too much earlier as it has some of the improved features patented in the early to mid-twenties over the line shaft and round ram version.

Serial number is E7130. Pics attached. Curious to know what year it hailed from. It is a lot more robust than the c1915 Rockford 2B universal miller that it replaced!

Thanks,
-Doug

Attachments

• DSC07488.jpg
    DSC07488.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC07489.jpg
    DSC07489.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC07495.jpg
    DSC07495.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC08081.jpg
    DSC08081.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 155
Spindle nose would be a give away - if 14 B&S, earlier, if 50 NMTB, later. I had one a little older like E6XXX and always assumed it to be mid thirties - which isn't correct as it would have the '33 serial format if 'mid thirties

Ms are in the '23 catalog looking much more antique

Dial types were a differing design series - unrelated to the M and its offspring

Here is '26 catalog

http://ozarktoolmanuals.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfcatalogs/Cincinnati_Catalog_1926.pdf

Thanks for the link to the 1926 catalogue; I'd not come across that before.

I thought that one model pretty much followed another, but according to the catalog there was (in 1926 at least) significant overlap between the cone drive with round ram overarm (No. 2), the independent motor with square overarm (No. 2-M) like ours, and a "High Power" (No. 2 H.P.) that presumable shortly spawned the Dial series.

At first, looking at the illustrations in the catalog, the machines depicted seemed to have the older type table feed trip. One of the latest patent numbers referenced on our 2M patent plate was for a new trip feed lever that was on a vertical shaft (previously horizontal). But towards the back of the catalog a 2M is clearly shown with the new feed trip.

Our machine has the #50MT taper, which is not mentioned in the catalog at all. I am not sure when that became commercially available - let alone adopted by Cincinnati - but the patent for it was filed in 1927 by K&T, B&S, and Cincinnati. The other thing not present in the catalog is though rapid feed is mentioned for the High Power series, it is not (yet) offered on the 2M. Our has the rapid traverse (see attachment), though not quite the same linkage/lever as shown on the High Power. So to me those two things suggest our 2M is after 1926.

But no later than 1933. I got our book out an looked up Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. (Cincinnati Milacron) and it goes back to 1933 (not 1930 as I initially stated). It looks like that year they changed the serial numbering format. When I first looked up the serial number of our miller, I saw the letter code "E" and said 'ah - 1937'. Later I read the small print at the top showing the letter year code is the last letter in the serial number. So serial numbers that start with a letter and then have the number (like E7130) must pre-date that system.

So presently the range is 1927 at the earliest and 1933 at the latest; a six year time span. Previously I thought it might be 1925-1930, a five year time span. I seem to be going backwards here!

-Doug

Attachments

• DSCN5831.jpg
    DSCN5831.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN5829.jpg
    DSCN5829.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 104

Back