What's new
What's new

WTB: Hendey 16 x 54 or78 lathe

Peroni

Cast Iron
I'm looking for an 18 speed Hendey 16" with either a 54" or 78" bed. Must be the 18 speed model, prefer a TRB cam lock spindle and need a taper attachment on it. Really want to find a post 1947 machine with hardened bed in very good to excellent condition. I don't care about cosmetics, I can take care of some minor repairs and adjustments but am absolutely not wanting a total rebuild project. Tooling is not a super important issue, be nice if it came with a decent 3 jaw and steady rest.

I've tentatively put a deposit down on another machine that looks decent but I've not laid hands on it yet and wont for several weeks. Wondering if there might be anything "better" out there? I know it's asking a lot to find a machine tool going on 70yrs old and not be worn out/abused but there are still some nice ones out there and that's what I'd like to find.

As far as other brands go I wouldn't say no to a "Tool Room" Pacemaker or Pratt & Whitney C but those are the only ones I'd consider.

Hendey 14x30.jpg

Well it turns out this was not a good week to buy a lathe. Seller decided to just keep the machine I was fixin to get, had a feeling it would go this way as he was reluctant to let it go and I don't blame him as it was a nice lathe. Called about a second lathe Friday only to find I missed it by 15 minutes. So I'm still looking. If anyone finds this thread - be it even years from now - and you have the Hendey I'm seeking to buy then send me a message. At this rate I may still be looking!

A strategy i've used to cast a wider net than just the PM form is to put an add on the craigslist sites withing whatever your travel radius is. Something simple like "Metal Lathe Wanted" in the title and then a bit more detail may work. The basic ides is that folks that read these adds tend to know people with similar interests and if they don't have a candidate machine, they may know someone who does. I was on the hunt for a Cincinnati 16" universal shaper which is a very specific machine and this strategy identified one about 4 hours from my home. I had to pay more for it that the going rate for shapers at the time but, for me, floor space is valuable so if i was going to allocate the space to a shaper, it had to be the right one. The seller was referred to me by someone who saw one of my adds.

Don’t know where you are at but Yoder Equipmemt up around Toledo OH had A 16-54. Called about it before I got a different one can’t remember price was 2 years ago. Don’t know if it meets all your requirements

Keep and eye on HGR Industrial Surplus. They just had a Hendey 16" I think 78" just sell. Came in last week and just sold Friday. I should stop going there I have toooooo many items from them but some items are a good deal! Be careful some machines are Boat Anchors!

Keep and eye on HGR Industrial Surplus. They just had a Hendey 16" I think 78" just sell. Came in last week and just sold Friday. I should stop going there I have toooooo many items from them but some items are a good deal! Be careful some machines are Boat Anchors!
That one was a 16x54 lathe and looked pretty nice esp by HGR standards. I had been watching it and called after the seller decided to keep the lathe I was going to buy but missed it by 15 minutes! Last year they had a 16x78 but it was old and I was unable to get a good idea on condition from the photos provided.

Don’t know where you are at but Yoder Equipmemt up around Toledo OH had A 16-54. Called about it before I got a different one can’t remember price was 2 years ago. Don’t know if it meets all your requirements
I know about that one, it's a slow 12 speed model. Fairly old but seems in decent shape. They've had it for quite a while, price was around $3K when I made a curious inquiry about 3yrs ago.

Keep in mind there are a few Barber Colmans out there that are really Hendeys
Yes sir they made 20 of the 16CHL models, one of which popped up for sale a mere 5 hrs away 2 weeks ago. However the seller was non responsive to my request for more and better quality photos.

Back