What's new
What's new

Camp 18 Restaurant

Sunset Machine

Aluminum
The wife and I have driven by several times without realizing the extent of this place. Located in northwestern Oregon, this 25 foot tall bandsaw was built in 1929 by the Sumner Iron Works of Everett Washington. 8 foot diameter logs were processed with the saw powered by a 300 HP electric motor. The largest donkey I've ever seen scoured the woods for trees to feed it. A sign claims it to be the largest producer of lumber in Oregon during the 1930's-40's.
Camp 18 Restaurant, Brunch, Event Room, Conference Rooms in Elsie, Oregon, 97138

Sumner Iron Works- 1929 300 HP electric.jpgGenset.jpgDonkey.jpgDonkey-2.jpg

Yep neet place. When I was younger I used to think yeah right there are no trees that big around. The last few years I have been elk hunting the coast range near camp 18 and found stump of these monster sized tree's. These stumps where a good 15-20 feet high and you could easily park a suburban on top of them they where so big. (figure speaking of course) . Pretty cool to see.

I worked as a saw filer for big double cut bandsaws and single cut resaws for about twelve years, hated every second of it. I used to get off work Friday evening dreading Monday morning. The pay was good, but not good enough to offset the overwhelming depression of doing the same thing day after day, week after week. I guess it takes a certain kind of person to stay with it, my last year at that mill I took a big cut in pay to work in the machine shop, and have been happy with my work ever since.

I love how that steam donkey looks like a tugboat in a harbor or something...
A 300 HP electric motor? I wonder why not steam or even diesel. I wonder if the power for the motor was generated with steam.

The literature said a man ran his house with it, even making hot water. I saw v-belt sheaves for the generator and a large chain sprocket for something, I'd guess it was part of the axle, made from scrap.

Back