What's new
What's new

Can anybody give information on this lathe?

Paren8355

Plastic
Hello all,

I picked up this Smooth/Booth/Usher metal lathe and was wanting some info on it. It needs cleaned up and flushed out. It doesn’t look like it was abused, but it hasn’t been used for a very long time. I have been enjoying digging into it and cleaning it up. Brings back memories.So I guess any information on oil recommendations for the headstock and bed slide would be appreciated.Maybe some info on things to look for. Haven’t found any major issues with it and have got it running, but reluctant to actually use it until I flush it out. Also, I haven’t been able to find much info on the price of one of these machines or how old it might be. I’m disabled and plan on just tinkering with it, but used to enjoy metal working and welding in the past. It has a 13 forged on the gear housing, but that’s all. Any help from anybody would be great.

Attachments

• C35F33E8-CFB2-4D2E-904D-71F5211E3621.jpg
    C35F33E8-CFB2-4D2E-904D-71F5211E3621.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 138
  • 65AC8418-B00B-4A81-BC45-3C170B3B1FA9.jpg
    65AC8418-B00B-4A81-BC45-3C170B3B1FA9.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 192
  • FD3CC3AC-E41A-4A56-B444-4616B1C7EA7B.jpg
    FD3CC3AC-E41A-4A56-B444-4616B1C7EA7B.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 121
Smith, Booth & Usher were the dealers who sold the lathe. John Oder correctly states that the lathe is a LeBlond 13" Regal. This series of lathes is known as the
"Roundhead" Regal. The number 13 on the side of the headstock casting is the swing of the lathe, in inches. The fact that the number is cast on the side of the headstock means the lathe was a "Trainer" model, having a slightly lighter bed casting than the 'standard' Roundhead Regal lathes.

The hollow cast projection on top of the headstock originally held a 'circular slide rule' which had a Bakelite knob. It could give a rough idea of what RPM to run the lathe at for different diameters/different metals. It also had the lever positions on the headstock for the different spindle speeds.

I'd flush the headstock and apron with diesel fuel. Run the headstock under power for a minute or so as well as running the apron with the power feeds engaged, then drain the diesel fuel. I use ISO 68 oil in my own Roundhead Regal lathe headstock and apron. I buy 'tractor hydraulic oil' in 2 gallon jugs at "Tractor Supply". This tractor hydraulic oil is an ISO 68 DTE series oil. DTE = 'dynamo, turbine, engine', which is an oil designation that predates the automobile. DTE series oils are still spec'd and used in powerplant turbines, generator bearings, and some machine tools. DTE oils are a mineral based oil, 'straight weight', tractor hydraulic oil having anti corrosion and antifoaming additives.

Drain plugs for the headstock are located at the bottom of the headstock casting, in between the bedways. The apron should also have a drain plug. There is a plunger pump in the apron which shoots oil up to the 'carriage wings' which slide on the bedways, as well as to the cross slide. This plunger pump has rod about 7/16" diameter which sticks out of the apron running uphill at an angle. The top of this rod has a concave surface, to make a place for your fingertip. Push this rod in and it should spring back out. When you have the diesel fuel in the apron, work this plunger rod quite a few times to push the diesel fuel up and thru the drilled oil passages and out onto the sliding surfaces.

When you refill the apron, work the plunger again until you see oil appear on the bedways and cross slide dovetail.

I add "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" (about 50%) to the oil in the apron. This additive contains nothing harmful to 'yellow metal' (brass or bronze) parts, and adds 'tackifiers' to the oil. This give the oil more of a film strength and 'clinginess'.

The serial number of your lathe will be located on the far end of the bedways, stamped in the flat surface in between the vee way and flat way. If you contact LeBlond Limited (the current incarnation of LeBlond), they will be avble to give you the date your lathe was shipped and who the original purchaser was.

These lathes are about as user-friendly as it gets. The downside is the headstock gears are kind of light. For home shop or light machine shop use, these lathes are fine. However, be mindful of the light gearing and take it easy when doing jobs with interupted cuts or taking heavy hogging cuts on larger diameter work.

These lathes were designed in an era when high speed steel (HSS) tools were in common use, and carbide tools were not all that common. The result is the spindle speeds are on the lower end by today's standards. However, HSS tool bits are cheap at the price and you can grind them freehand on a bench grinder to make your turning, threading, facing and other tools. The HSS tools give you 'two fer one', as you can grind a cutting tool at either end of each HSS tool blank. You can also easily grind form tools from the HSS blanks for things like O ring or retainer ring grooves. A HSS tool, properly ground, finished with some hand-stoning with a small "india Medium Hard' oil stone will give a surface finish that will look like it was precision ground, no further filing of polishing needed. I 'came up' using HSS tools, and was taught to freehand grind lathe tools and twist drills, but that was well over 50 years ago. A word of advice is not to get too hung up on grinding the tools to some exact angle. Aside from threading or form tools which require exact angles, most lathe tools can be ground so their geometry is correct and the angles are not all that critical.

These are good little lathes, and if you are careful and develop your skills, you will be able to get out a surprising range of fine work.

Thanks everyone. It will be nice to get this up and turning again. Does anybody know what the little oil tubes with the flip caps are called, some of them are missing the spring loaded caps or are damaged?

Thanks everyone. It will be nice to get this up and turning again. Does anybody know what the little oil tubes with the flip caps are called, some of them are missing the spring loaded caps or are damaged?

"GITS oilers, or oil cups. easy to get, or just put a stopper in it for now would work too. cheers and enjoy.

At the beginning......,In the headstock are a set of four small speed change gears...these gears a quite hard and fragile,and any attempt to remove the threaded chuck by passing a reaction thru any of these gears may break a tooth.....check for broken teeth first up,and if they are good ,then be careful with them.......You will not buy spares ,as far as I know.

Oil Hole Cups and Covers | GITS Manufacturing Online catalog, so you can find the part number you need.

I have found the style R drive-in and style B threaded to be the most common types on old machines.

Larry

Possibly the easiest way to purchase various types of oil fittings like that, is via McMaster Carr.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I flushed out the gear housing yesterday. There was quite abit of sludge in the housing. To some time to clean out. The gears all look good, very little play and actually put a piece of round stock aluminum in ran throughout the speeds and feeds. Pretty happy with the results. I think this lathe is gonna work out great.

Paren8355

LeBlond Roundhead Regal Lathes often have a handwheel on the headstock drive shaft. This handwheel is located to the left of the belt guard. The purpose of this handwheel is to allow the operator of the lathe to roll the headstock gearing over by hand when changing gears. This allows you to get the gears into mesh. When changing headstock spindle speeds, never try shifting under power. Roll the gearing over by hand using the handwheel, or by turning the chuck or job by hand. When you feel the gearing has gone into mesh, make sure the spring-ball detents on the shifting levers are properly seated in the 'dimples' or 'divots' on the headstock. It is quite easy to feel the gearing in mesh, but unless the detents on the levers are properly seated, the gears in the headstock can hop out of engagement under power. As noted, these are not heavy duty headstocks, nor are they like the old heavy truck transmissions where a novice driver might "grind 'em till he finds 'em" when shifting gears.

The oil cups you speak of are (I believe) a 5/16"-24 thread. The spring top on one of the oil cups on my own Roundhead Regal was long gone. Before starting the lathe, I always oil the headstock drive shaft and spindle bearing oil cups- along with the rest of the oiling points on the lathe. When I saw the prices on the new 5/16"-24 Gits oil hole covers (as I think they are called), I decided to go to 'plan B'. I've always liked the look of the glass-bodied drip oilers. I found some 1/8" NPT glass bodied drip oilers, and made some 1/8" FPT x 5/16"-24 male thread adaptors. These oilers are now in place on the headstock of my 13" Roundhead Regal lathe.
It is a simple matter to flip the toggles on the tops of the oilers to start the flow of oil to the spindle and drive shaft bearings. Once the lathe is rolling under power, I shut off the oil flow from these drip oilers. The headstock is designed to maintain an oil flow or circulation to the spindle and driveshaft bearings once the lathe is running under power. More about that in a couple of paragraphs.

Years ago, when I got my camelback drill press, I realized that a flex-spout pump oil can was going to take a bit of time and doing to get to all the oiling points. I had an "Eagle" pump oil can I'd found in a trash can due to a destroyed flex spout and dented reservoir. I made a new rigid spout of that oil can out of 1/4" diameter stainless steel tubing. This is bent at 90 degrees coming off the top of the oil can, and has perhaps 10-12" length. The tip of the tubing has a nozzle I machined from drill rod. This nozzle tapers to a point, but has a slot filed across its tip. This lets me push oil into 'spring ball' type oil hole covers- common on older machinery. The tip also lets me open Gits oil hole covers in hard to reach places and get the oil into them.

Another place to check are the headstock bearing return oil drillings. There are flanged plates which cover the ends of the headstock spindle bearings. These plates have a kind of 'labyrinth' (grooves) to prevent oil from migrating out of the headstock after it comes out of the spindle bearings. There are oil return drillings which provide a flow path for the oil to go back to the headstock sump. If these are blocked with sludge, or if you use too heavy an oil in the headstock, at higher spindle speeds, the oil will be slung out between the spindle 'collar' (a larger diameter section) and the headstock. I have my Regal lathe in an unheated garage, awaiting moving down into my heated shop. Running ISO 68 oil in colder temperatures, with the lathe at higher spindle speeds, I've wound up with a 'racing strip' of oil on me and the floor. Not a great deal of oil, but enough to know that this should not be happening.

These lathes are good little lathes, as I have said previously. However, they are geared head machines with a husky vee belt drive from the motor. As such, if a person gets into trouble with this type of lathe, the driveline will not slip (as might happen on a light flat belt driven lathe). Instead, the driveline will keep on turning and either tear up the work or the gearing in the headstock. Before starting your lathe with a job setup in it, it is good practice to 'pull the spindle over by hand' with the carriage as close up to the headstock as you will need it to be to machine the job. If there is any chance of a crash such as chuck jaws or a lathe dog or setup hardware on a faceplate running into the toolbit, tool holder, compound or carriage wings, better to find it out in this way than under power.

..... The tip of the tubing has a nozzle I machined from drill rod. This nozzle tapers to a point, but has a slot filed across its tip. This lets me push oil into 'spring ball' type oil hole covers- common on older machinery. ............

Yep, that there is "the" real deal for oiling ball oilers. I made mine so the "point" seats without quite bottoming the balls, so the oil flows the right way (and not back at me), but the slot lets it get out of the spout regardless.

There is a "real" oiler for those, but it only works on the type that has a recessed top fitting the end of the oiler. The point works on all of them.

Back