What's new
What's new

Anybody know what this belongs to?

stevewatr

Stainless
I went to a clean out of a home workshop to buy some steel, and since everything left was destined for the scrap yard, I grabbed a few other items I don't have an immediate use for, but just couldn't bear to see get tossed in with the scrap. I came across this item, and it has me a little stumped (not that that's hard to do).

It has a high speed steel cutter, mounted upside down in a home made tool holder on it, but the rest looks original, but original to what?? I figured this forum has a lot of fans like myself of old machines, and maybe some one here will know what it is. Then I can put it on Ebay and retire early ;)

Thanks in advance,

Steve W.

DSCN2691.jpgDSCN2694.jpgDSCN2695.jpgDSCN2700.jpgDSCN2701.jpg

Can't tell you exactly what it came off of but it looks like it was possibly for a turret lathe, mounted to the back side of the cross slide to part, cut a groove, ect..

I agree it is a thread chasing tool holder from a small lathe. But it is not a Hardinge Cataract. There were many similar lathes circa 1890-1930, and I am only familiar with the Hardinge products. Looking through all of Tony's pictures of American bench lathes of that period could let you find a match. Or not.

Here are pictures of a complete Cataract chasing attachment.

Larry

CatChase 1.JPGCatChase 2.JPGCatChase 3.JPG

Wow, thanks a lot! You guys are tops. I never would've guessed it. Original owner had passed away, and the sone was cleaning out the place. Only lathes there were a south bend, and a lodge & shipley. But he was a hoarder, so who knows how it ended up there.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I think that is the answer. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page5.html

I suspect that the Rivett chasing attachment and the special version of the Rivett lathe bed with rear T-slot to use it is so rare that there would be little demand for just the tool holder slide. Maybe it could be made to work on another make of lathe.

Larry

Nice one Larry, you cracked it ............ I just gave the Cataract as an example.

Well it appears the 606 is a pretty rare lathe. I only found a few 608's on YouTube, but 606's .
I remember seeing in a book once where a guy used broken taps for chasing threads on his lathe. He also used sections of those multipart dies, the kind like I've seen in old pipe threading setups.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

A post-mortem commentary (considered a compliment) on a steam enthusiast here in Cow Hampshire.

"He could spot an injector in a pile of scrap pipe fittings at a distance of 50 paces."

It does take a special eye.

Joe in NH

I would truly appreciate a thread chaser such as that on my Wade 94.

It would be "a project", but so worth the effort.

Someday....

Uncommon lathe and this is incomplete.... Someone would have to have the lathe and the rest of this and need just this to have it of interest.

I'm interested, but there is so much more to it than that single piece.

Can you show some dimensions ? Only those between the bore for the mounting shaft and the tool holder are important.

Back