What's new
What's new

Can anyone help me i.d. this old, huge lathe?

minimonsta22

Plastic
Industrial machine tool co.
Model 2480b

This thing is huge! Any idea what it's worth and the history of the company/lathe?

Sorry, it wouldnt let me do it from my phone.

Attachments

• 20180826_125417.jpg
    20180826_125417.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 20180826_125423.jpg
    20180826_125423.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 20180826_125427.jpg
    20180826_125427.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 311
It looks like a generic "import" lathe, probably from the 70's, probably from Taiwan. I would hardly call it "huge". It is a garden variety lathe, maybe 16" swing and lightly built for the nominal capacity. It is likely one of the "forbidden" types of machine tools to discuss here, being made in Taiwan or China, so expect the thread to be locked.

I am guessing it was from the 70's as it has the "Norton" style of quick change gearbox. Not a particularly valuable nor desirable machine tool. Common as dirt, and many importers badged these sorts of lathes with their own names, sometimes mimicking or playing off of old-line US manufacturers' names. Some sharpie in the USA with little more than a rented office called himself "ABC Industrial Machinery" and ordered the lathe from some factory in China or Taiwan with his firm's name on them. Same lathe might well have been sold by a dozen more similar firms that came and went in the USA, all selling the same lathes with maybe different paint and a different name on them.

I'd call the lathe on the light side for its capacity, and calling it huge is a gross overstatement. Huge is a lathe that will swing work maybe 6 feet in diameter x 40 feet long. Sit the lathe in this thread next to an older US made engine lathe of like capacity and there will be at least twice the weight of GOOD iron castings in it and it will LOOK like a real lathe. This thing is hardly worthy of the name "engine lathe", qualifying in a nominal sense.

Its a small mid grade china/taiwan lathe by the look of it.
A big lathe weighs the same as a semi, a huge lathe can turn several hundred tonnes

so, im thinking its probably 24x80 . Would 1000 dollars be a smoking deal?

It would indeed. In Hong Kong Dollars.

Check the exchange rate to see if I'm being overly generous. Might be more accurate to use $1,000 Taiwan Dollar, given it has to be hauled.

Repairs can be like restoring turd off a dead horse. Horse has quit making parts that fit, and the QC standards were set by a relaxed arsehole under forced pressure, and working with shit materials to begin with.

things affecting price:
1. Can a buyer test run it ?
2. Is it complete and everything works ?
3. Can you load it on a buyers truck ?

If it comes with $3,000 in tooling then it might be worth it. I'm being serious. Also, please state what you'd like to do with a lathe and then we can offer some good options for you.

Apparently selling....:ack2:

Oh, he can wipe the rust, rot, and insect-s**t off it and GET a $1,000 US for it, then.

Just look at what people spend on Microsoft WinWOES for the PRIVILEGE of being repeatedly skull-f**ed, dry, and for multiple decades!

They actually learn to LOVE that so much they consider it "normal", and cannot understand why EVERYONE ELSE dasn't love it, too!

Go figure..

Industrial machine tool co.
Model 2480b

This thing is huge! Any idea what it's worth and the history of the company/lathe?

Just curious-you really didn't think that the fact it says "ABC Industrial machine tool co" and
Model "ABC-2480b" were important facts?

Back