Can anyone identify the manufacturer or brand of these switches?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can anyone identify the manufacturer or brand of these switches?

I need to add an additional control switch to my 1960s-era Studer grinder (power on/off for an internal grinding spindle). I'd like to match the existing style if possible. Can anyone identify the manufacturer or brand of these switches? All I really need is the red bakelite or plastic lever, since I could easily fit that to a modern switch

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you pull the the switch out I frequently see the Id on the post end. On yours it will be on the end between the switch body and the handle.

Kelly

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly.s View Post
    If you pull the the switch out I frequently see the Id on the post end. On yours it will be on the end between the switch body and the handle.

Kelly
    I looked there but did not see any marking. But I think I'll remove one switch completely and study it closely from all sides. Maybe there will be some identifying markings or symbols that I missed.

Meanwhile I've gotten one PM from another member here, who says that the switch might come from Ghielmetti AG.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I looked there but did not see any marking. But I think I'll remove one switch completely and study it closely from all sides. Maybe there will be some identifying markings or symbols that I missed.

Meanwhile I've gotten one PM from another member here, who says that the switch might come from Ghielmetti AG.
    Looks like one that came in the door on my 1951/52 or thereabouts Alzmetall DP.

Didn't worry about the source. Replaced it with a present-day US made one and moved-on.

You might do the same with "current" European goods? Handle selection should have options.

Even my new US one uses an IEC / ISO ... wotever (I GUESS) 5 mm square actuating shaft.

And you don't see the modern switch back of the panel anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other switch on your machine lower down looks like some of the Klockner Moeller switches that are on some of my machines.
    https://www.amazon.com/Klockner-Moel.../dp/B074KGNR8D
    MOLLER KLOCKNER T1-2-142 Nockenschalter Motorschutzschalter Hauptschalter 16A - EUR 35,99 | PicClick DE
    Perhaps a search through some of the used switches on Ebay may turn up a used one with a handle like yours .
    I don’t recall seeing many like yours anywhere in Canada.
    If you didn’t mind going to the trouble you might be able to get someone to scan one of your existing handles and have one 3D printed and put it on what ever other switch that works that would be unseen behind the panel.
    I think I would be checking Ebay and my local junk collectors before I went to the extreme of printing one but maybe printing is easy enough if you know someone with a scanner , printer and material easily available .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    The other switch on your machine lower down looks like some of the Klockner Moeller switches that are on some of my machines.
    https://www.amazon.com/Klockner-Moel.../dp/B074KGNR8D
    MOLLER KLOCKNER T1-2-142 Nockenschalter Motorschutzschalter Hauptschalter 16A - EUR 35,99 | PicClick DE
    Perhaps a search through some of the used switches on Ebay may turn up a used one with a handle like yours .
    I don’t recall seeing many like yours anywhere in Canada.
    If you didn’t mind going to the trouble you might be able to get someone to scan one of your existing handles and have one 3D printed and put it on what ever other switch that works that would be unseen behind the panel.
    I think I would be checking Ebay and my local junk collectors before I went to the extreme of printing one but maybe printing is easy enough if you know someone with a scanner , printer and material easily available .
    MOST of the knobs and handles sold the last 80 years are still stock items from the molders who supply them to the switch makers. Google will easily find you distributors for some that match 1920's devices or my 1970's Marantz gear.

Human hand as operates them hasn't changed all that much, regardless of the switch, other end of the shaft under the knobs, dials, and levers.

Can't find "perfect" match in shape and colour for the newly-added odd-man out?

Put MATCHING, ALL new knobs or levers on ALL the actuators to the switches, old or new, alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you post a pic of the front of the control knob/handle, is there a logo in the centre/ Could be Grundfos?

8. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

would casting your own be an option? YouTube Jim

10. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    Can you post a pic of the front of the control knob/handle, is there a logo in the centre/ Could be Grundfos?
    Here you are. The logo seems to be the only identifying mark anywhere on the switch. Do you recognize it?

I've searched Ebay and a few other German/Swiss sites but not turned up anything that matches. If I could just identify the manufacturer I think it might get easier to find one.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    would casting your own be an option? YouTube Jim
    Yes, though following Thermite's reasoning I would have to make four in order to get the color to match. I am still hoping to locate one in someone's drawer of cast-offs.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the request for new switches has been on pm before here is a contact that was mentioned who makes switches.

American Solenoid, Brunswick, NJ Could probably build you a new switch. They make special switches for me. Talk to Chris Meminger

here i think this is there business address and phone check it out.

American Solenoid Co Inc 760 New Brunswick Rd Somerset, NJ Switches-Electric-Manufacturers - MapQuest

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    the request for new switches has been on pm before...
    Thank you for the link to American Solenoid, but I already have a perfectly suitable switch. I just need the red bakelite lever.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well this thread has a happy ending. First of all, Jens down under was right. Look at the logo in the corner of this switch plate. It's the same as on my red lever:

That thing that looks like a circular arrow is actually a stylised letter G. Unfortunately the PM picture has lost a lot of resolution, but in the original you can read "Ghielmetti" on the side of the switch.

Second bit of good news is that a Hispano Suiza Hss143 from a half-century ago used these on the coolant pump:

A really nice guy in the Netherlands is sending me one

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The switch itself is unusual because the shaft is not centered on the switch plate, but is below center. Ghielmetti wrote that they have not manufactured compatible switches for more than 3 decades. So I had to make a replacement myself. Since these switches were used in Schaublin and Hispano-Suiza machines, I thought I would post a few photos of my solution, which uses a small standard rotary switch, a bit of aluminium extrusion, and a steel part that I turned and then milled a slot into. This is easy because I just need to turn on/off a single phase 2A 230VAC load.

Last thing I need is to get a switch plate made. This is glossy black anodized aluminium (0.5mm) with the numbers milled into the surface. Note that the people who engraved this assumed that the switch rotation axis was in the center of the plate, not 12mm below center!

17. Likes Jim Christie liked this post