What's new
What's new

can anyone tell me what this is?

Jonathan8324

Plastic
can someone help me out i got a bunch of machinist equipment inherited from my grandfather and theres a bunch i dont know what it is. Thanks IMG_2304.jpg

It looks like some kind of drilling or assembly jig .
Most welding or silver soldering jigs are not usually as well made .
Maybe some one will recognize it.
If not, perhaps seeing some of your other unknown parts with it or knowing what type of industry your grandfather worked in would give some clues as to what it is .

i just know he was a machinist and worked with metals found all kinds of angle dressers, Sine plates, vices, tons of different gages, V-Blocks, Magnetic transfer blocks, tools by Starrett, Lufkin, Brown $ Sharp. the list goes on and on heres the stuff im working on figuring out now lolIMG_2294.jpg

Off the top of my head I'd say it was a user made indicator base of some variety, probably out of some spare parts sitting around. Could very well be an assembly or Drilling jig as Jim Christie suggested though.

These pieces are starting to look an awfull lot like what Cannonm posted last year....:toetap:

SWAG regarding the tool in the OP: The vee-shaped clamping jaws on the left hold a tool, probably a diamond wheel dresser. My guess is that it's part of an arrangement to dress grinding wheels, possibly to a radius.

i just know he was a machinist and worked with metals found all kinds of angle dressers, Sine plates, vices, tons of different gages, V-Blocks, Magnetic transfer blocks, tools by Starrett, Lufkin, Brown $ Sharp. the list goes on and on heres the stuff im working on figuring out now lolView attachment 224774
Not sure what the fixture is for, most likely grinding of some kind judging by the nice selection of tool makers tools here.

Those are nesting parallels, the slotted feet allow them to be moved together or apart and maintain stability. There may be a better name for them, but that's their function.

They are tall parallels. The "teeth" allow the parallesl to be placed close together with the teeth intermeshing. It also provides a wide base for stability.

Back