What's new
What's new

can i use atf in a die filer

alan c

Aluminum
Hello, I been fixing up a milwaukee die filer and getting close to run. It was missing its base so I made a crankcase/ base out of aluminum. It all sits on a piece of phenolic resin board 7/8 thick. Went with a Bodine 1/4 horse angle gearmotor with shop made timing pulleys making a 180 rpm machine. The motor was put in the back, (my design). I have been reading on oils, and a non sulpher oil looks like the way to go. What do you folks feel is the best, by type and weight ? Is ATF a possibility? Cheers, Alan

Alan,

Is the lube intended for the Bodine gearmotor?

A typical right angle gear box usually involves a bronze worm gear which is not happy with a sulfur additive. I would think a 80W-90 gear lube from your local auto supply store would be just dandy.

I wouldn't use an ATF..they are less than a 10 weight and wouldn't carry around the worm and worm gear to lube it..a worm has lots sliding friction, just like a ring and pinion in a car or truck.

Stuart

You haven't told us what you are trying to lubricate. The gearmotor should have a mfr's recommendation. If it is the crankcase for the filer then ATF would be Ok but any non detergent oil should be as good.

die filer

Sorry folks, I am asking about the die filer only. My motor is fine. I felt that since I reduced the rpm to 180, (on the filer) the lighter weight oil might sling better off the crankshaft. Now that I think about it, my toyota car,(manual trans) uses atf. I do not know if dextron 111 or ford type atf would make a difference in my filer. I have alot of dextron 111 around. On a different note, my late machinist friend used atf on his lathe ways. Thank you all!! Alan

Alan,

Because of where they were originally intended to be used, all ATF's are made from the highest viscosity index oils that are available, and your slow speed die filer would be a cake walk for them...IMHO.

Stuart

I have an Oliver die filer which is probably similar to your Milwaukee. Oliver is still in business - here is their recommendation:

SAE 20 weight non-detergent oil is the most common used oil for this machine

If you find a good source for machine files, let us know.

Jeff

alan c --

The 1960s-vintage "Type F" automatic transmission fluid developed for Ford has the unusual property of increasing friction as the fluid layer is reduced to a minimum. This characteristic helps prevent slipping in the transmission clutch bands Ford (and a few foreign makers) used back then. (Using Type F in a GM or Chrysler automatic transmission would cause rough shifting if the bands were good, but could help get a few extra miles out of -- or hide -- worn out bands in one of those transmissions. GM / Chrysler ATF in a transmission designed for Type F fluid allowed band slipping.)

In 1970s or '80s, Ford redesigned their automatic transmissions to use a more-conventional fluid -- which they called Mercon -- very similar to the GM-spec Dexron fluid. Many, if not most, ATFs meeting the Dexron specification also met the Mercon spec.

In my experience, the biggest drawback to using ATFs complying with the Dexron, Dexron II, Dexron II specs as a light lube oil is the the red dye in the ATF stains.

John

Hard to find in small containers. That's probably why he is thinking of the ATF which as John noted is suitable if you can live with color.

Hey YA'll,
Anything worth having is worth looking for.. with that said.. any tractor supply store or southernstates type store will more than likely have it in quart form.. If none is found there try a mower shop.. Sometimes ya'll make things more difficult than they are..
Stay safe
Calvin
PS Hell... in a die filer I'd just put the right amount of vactra no# 2 and keep on keeping on..

I'd suggest getting some "Tractor Hydraulic Oil" in ISO 46 weight. This is about a 20 weight oil, non detergent, and has only got anti-foam and anti-corrosion additives. It is a "DTE" (Dynamo, Turbine, Engine) designated oil- a designation that predates the automobile. A two gallon jug will last your die file for your lifetime and then some. I own a Milwaukee Die Filer, and I run ISO 46 tractor hydraulic oil in its crankcase as well as in most of my other machine tools.

The tractor hydraulic oil is available in any farm supply or in stores such as "Tractor Supply".

Back