What's new
What's new

Can a Whitney Gaging Press be converted to a Pullmax style power hammer?

leop

Plastic
I have a chance to bid on a W.A. Whitney Corp Model: 653 gauging press in a few hours. I might be able to get the press for around $1k ~ $2k and another $1k for tons of tooling.

But I don't need a gauging press, I want a pullmax power hammer type machine.

I noted in the docs that the Whitney can be used as a nibbler, and I know that many people use the pullmax machines strictly for thier nibbling capability. So.......

Does anyone know these machines well enough to make an educated guess as to whether one could be transformed into a power hammer for cold working of sheet metal?

I have a chance to bid on a W.A. Whitney Corp Model: 653 gauging press in a few hours. I might be able to get the press for around $1k ~ $2k and another $1k for tons of tooling.

But I don't need a gauging press, I want a pullmax power hammer type machine.

I noted in the docs that the Whitney can be used as a nibbler, and I know that many people use the pullmax machines strictly for thier nibbling capability. So.......

Does anyone know these machines well enough to make an educated guess as to whether one could be transformed into a power hammer for cold working of sheet metal?

Pullmax is not a power hammer, it's a reciprocating machine!

You could probably turn the Whitney into a power hammer or a Pullmax type machine, the only thing usable would be the frame? You didn't say what kind of machines and or machining/ fabrication skills you have?

You may want to look at the home fabricated machines, here's one example......

P-Max - Pullmax Style Reciprocating Power Hammer Plans

I would go over to the Allmetalshaping forum, lots of info there including home built machines!

All MetalShaping - Powered by vBulletin

Kevin

Back