What's new
What's new

1901 patented McCormick-Deering sickle blade sharpener restoration

whatwhat

Plastic
Hey All!

Long time lurker here. I made a video of me restoring this old piece of equipment for a customer. They wanted to keep as much of the original paint as possible, so it was more of a clean-up than a restoration.

It was nice to see that all the parts were present!

[Restoration] Sickle Blade Sharpener - YouTube

I did almost the exact duplicate as a young teen-ager back about 1971.

On mine the paint was TOTALLY gone. Not having an idea what color it should be everything got painted green - sorry John Deere aficionados.

Returned as a donation to the church thrift shop from whence acquired, it sat there for literally years before it sold for the paltry sum of $5. (I paid $2)

I hope the paint didn't hold it back.

Joe in NH

whatwhat

Nice project!

This is a type of machine with a "high gizmocity factor." Plenty of gears and cranks!

In the era in which it was built, the 1/2" bolts and nuts are likely to be 1/2-12 rather than 1/2-13.

John Ruth

Hey!
I've got one of those, late kid brother painted it all black, though.

Mine seems older. It is just "Deering"; not M-D.
The gear train for the grindstone is simpler, and the feed uses smaller gears and a different stroke mechanism.
Plus grindstone is about worn out. But it is complete and operable. Will have to ask one of my other brothers he was close to, they may actually have used it back then on his mower before "restoring" it.

smt

Back