What's new
What's new

Canedy Otto no. 36 drill press power downfeed stop collar set

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have been working on restoring the above-mentioned machine. It came to me without the downfeed stop collar. The purpose of this split stop collar is to trip the power downfeed kickout lever and stop the downfeed. It can be positioned up and down the quill, or removed to get an extra bit of quill travel.

I had inquired here about the split collar, and a gentleman was nice enough to send me his to measure up. I had a friend draw it up in CAD and 3D print the patterns. I received my parts today, cast in C95400 bronze. There was a mixup in ordering and they made 2 sets of split collars. (I had inquired about pricing for a second set but never ordered it but they made it anyway.)

I have the spare bronze split stop collar set available if anyone else needs one.

I also have the pattern available. As 3D printed, it was green but after ramming now it's silver colored.

Here is a pic:

stopCollarSpares.jpg

The bronze castings need to be machined still, of course.

If anyone needs either the bronze parts or the patterns, please let me know.

metalmagpie

very cool!
Which 3D printing process was used for the mold?

I have also done some scanning and printing, but for my LeBlond No 2-1/2 Heavy rather than for my Canedy Otto New No 16 (or other machines).

I will start another post suggesting that we find a way to library and share the scans. As this technology becomes more widespread and economical it will become the best wat to maintain our old machines.

I don't know really anything about 3D printing. That part was all done by a friend of mine.
I do know it didn't involve any scanning. We had original parts to work from but I wanted them made slightly beefier. He measured and drew in CAD and generated a 3D model and then printed.

metalmagpie

very cool!
Which 3D printing process was used for the mold?

I have also done some scanning and printing, but for my LeBlond No 2-1/2 Heavy rather than for my Canedy Otto New No 16 (or other machines).

I will start another post suggesting that we find a way to library and share the scans. As this technology becomes more widespread and economical it will become the best wat to maintain our old machines.

I'd love to see photos of the unit! Any chance for an upload?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Progress:

readyToBore.jpg

By the way the second pair of stop collars is now spoken for. The patterns are still available if anyone needs them.

metalmagpie

Great job on the stop collar ! Beautiful drill press you have there. I need to do the same for my 20 inch Champion. Thanks for sharing this.

Just to close the loop:

stopCollarInstalled.jpg

I'm proud of this part. It was my first time having something cast and my first time machining raw castings. I learned a ton.

metalmagpie

Sweet! You gonna buff her out or leave it as cast? Sure looks WAY more factory than the used muffler clamp I use occasionally.:ack2:

Sweet! You gonna buff her out or leave it as cast? Sure looks WAY more factory than the used muffler clamp I use occasionally.:ack2:

Buff it out? I like the as-cast look! There are other bronze pieces on this machine and the way it looks now is the best match.

I never thought of a muffler clamp, that is genius!

metalmagpie

Back