Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Servicar rider View Post
    I am looking for the collets that went with the grinder ?
    I got a few collets that were with some of the mill tooling is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Servicar rider View Post
    .. I was afraid the crane might get scrapped?
    Yeah the second I saw that crane I knew I had to have it. Couldn't stand the thought of it getting scrapped. These old cranes are just awesome – they're functional for all kinds of lifting around the shop, and they look flat out wild, so much character and style.

I wish more info was out there on them. History / specs / more pictures ... etc. I will try to get some good pictures and a thread going on mine when I get to working on it.

Here is a shot of the crane from another angle.. seeing it again has me excited to get into it and tune it up!

2. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a sad end for a cool shop crane. I thought I had a nameplate picture, but can't find it. The next time I go to the mall, I'll get better pictures. I believe it is of French or German origin.

shopcrane2.jpgshopcrane1.jpg

4. Likes mindheavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have a picture of mine right now but mine is a Canedy-Otto like the one in Bill's 1937 ad.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canedy-otto-crane-1938-1_li-2-.jpg   canedy-otto-crane-1937-1.jpg  

6. Likes mindheavy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    Here's a sad end for a cool shop crane. I thought I had a nameplate picture, but can't find it. The next time I go to the mall, I'll get better pictures. I believe it is of French or German origin.
    Agreed, sad to see a useful piece of industrial history reduced to retail duty. I can see why people use them for props like this – they really catch peoples eye. What's the collective opinion though, surely this is at least a little better than sending one to the scrapper?

Speaking of a sad end... Here's another example I found back when I was trying to research mine. It looks to be nearly the exact model I have. It's been cleaned up nicely, but the site lists it for sale as "Vintage Industrial Engine Hoist Hanging Chair Frame". What's even worse is the asking price of $11,500. Link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mindheavy, I would be interested in those collets if they will fit my Cincinnati grinder? Please send me a pm? I thought long and hard about buying that crane when I was there, but I am out of space, and already have too many other projects, and since I have a couple of forklifts I wouldn't use it much. I was told it was originally used to change engines in airplanes during WW2? Not sure how true that is? I know the former owner had it for years? I bought a diesel engine from him about 5 or 6 years ago and we loaded it with that crane. Once again I am glad it won't get scrapped and I hope it's not still outside in the rain like it was.
    As far as that other one for $11,500, that's wishful thinking? But he was open for lower offers? Ha! Ha! I guess he is hoping for somebody stupid with too much money to come along that thinks he needs it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mindheavy View Post
    Agreed, sad to see a useful piece of industrial history reduced to retail duty. I can see why people use them for props like this – they really catch peoples eye. What's the collective opinion though, surely this is at least a little better than sending one to the scrapper?

Speaking of a sad end... Here's another example I found back when I was trying to research mine. It looks to be nearly the exact model I have. It's been cleaned up nicely, but the site lists it for sale as "Vintage Industrial Engine Hoist Hanging Chair Frame". What's even worse is the asking price of $11,500.
    I have no problem with stuff that that being used as display or prop material. If I had one, I'd rather have the 11k. I could fund some of the design and build of an overhead bridge crane for the shop which would be more useful and not eat up any floor space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a Canadian one I just ran across while looking for something else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crane.jpg  

11. Likes mindheavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw something like this on April Wilkerson's YouTube channel where she builds a sawmill. I thought it was a home made thing but now I think it is probably a competitor to the Canton from the old days.

You can see it in action here starting at around 12:42min.

Jacques

13. Likes mindheavy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jariou View Post
    I saw something like this on April Wilkerson's YouTube channel where she builds a sawmill. I thought it was a home made thing but now I think it is probably a competitor to the Canton from the old days.
    Nice find! Andrew Alexander (@blacksmithtools on instagram) found two of those cranes. He let one go her way. Here is a clip of him demonstrating it lifting a small anvil.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there, would you be interested in selling the crane?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Andy, would you be interested in selling the crane? Or would you know of someone who might be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by enginebill View Post
    Since there was interest in seeing my portable crane I decided to start a new thread about it. It is a Canton Portable crane built by the Hill Acme Co in Cleveland OH. It was made in the mid 1940's after the Hill and Acme companies merged. The size is a No.3 and it is rated for 2 tons.
    Enginebill,

Something I just noticed in your photos - is that a Crossley H gas engine in the background? A bit unusual in the US I think. Is it running the line shaft? If so, how well does the governor work? I have a 1914 'JB' (benzene engine) which is fairly similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What would they be worth, a friend of mine has one for sale in an auction in December. I thought I might try to pick it up. Just don’t know what they are worth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Enginebill,

Something I just noticed in your photos - is that a Crossley H gas engine in the background? A bit unusual in the US I think. Is it running the line shaft? If so, how well does the governor work? I have a 1914 'JB' (benzene engine) which is fairly similar.
    It is a Crossley H. I was working on it for a customer and I was experimenting with hot tube lengths and I was using the countershaft of the lathe for starting of the engine.

20. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wheels17, I would stop in at that shop with the crane in the window and make it known that when they get tired of it and change the display that you would be willing to help them get rid of the old display. Maybe even pay them some money.