What's new
What's new

Carroll-Jamieson lathe

Marc1122

Plastic
I have recently acquired a 16x60 Carroll Jamieson lathe. It is in nice working condition. This may be a long shot but I would like to find a taper attachment for it. Any information would be appreciated.

Well I'll be! I have been waiting quite some time for someone else to pop up and say they have one of these. I have a 15"x54 and it actually has a taper attachment (the more expensive telescoping one I believe) but I am missing one piece to it. I have had no luck finding any spare parts for this lathe and even a threaded back plate seems to be rare. Don't know if you need any other info or if you could shed light on this for me, but I will be glad to share what I have.

I just got this lathe. I am not a machinist by trade and this is my first decent sized lathe. I bought the machine for what I considered was a deal. It seems very tight and all the functions work as they should. I have a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate and steady rest. As far as adapting any taper attachment I am not sure? I would ask any experienced machinists out there to weigh in on that. I have no problem adapting and fabricating but would like a little guidance if this is a possibility.

Marc has inquired and vossman has offered - assuming there is some resemblance between the vintages of the two lathes, why don't you two gents see if you can collaborate on reverse engineering?

It won't be easy - the telescoping job has very important parts you can't even see prior to complete disassembly right back to the cross slide handle

VM has these for what its worth

Carroll & Jamieson Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

I would be most happy to help wherever I can. However, I won't be near my machine for a few more months. If still interested when I get back, I will send all the pics you like. The link that Johnoder sent has some good pics of it. I don't think there was a lick of difference between the 15" and the 16" as far as taper attachments go so it will probably work good. Might be able to find a suitable replacement for it.

Vossman,

I would be interested in attempting to fabricate a taper attachment myself, specifically a telescopic one. When you are available, would you be able to provide photos and dimensions? I would be willing to help out with part fabrication if you are missing points.

Dave Gray

Dave, that sounds like an absolute plan for me! I apologize but I am overseas and won't return until mid summer. If you find something between now and then that would be good but I will definitely plan on helping out when I return. I want to get mine attached and usable as soon as I can. I can provide any info you need at that point. Thanks Dave
Lee

Ok Carroll Jamieson fans, I am back home and near my machine. If you folks are still in need or measurements, let me know!

Help with taper attachment

Ok Carroll Jamieson fans, I am back home and near my machine. If you folks are still in need or measurements, let me know!

Vossman,

Getting geared up for two weeks of Boy Scout camp, so will take a while to develop some sketches (should have been working on them this spring!). Once I get something pulled together, I will send them to you to fill in the blanks on the dimensions. That seems to be the best way to go about this. Photos of the parts would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave Gray

Lee,

Typed up a PM for you tonight and thought that I sent it. Cant see it in my "Sent Items," so please check to see. Thanks.

Dave

Back