What's new
What's new

Cataract Bench Lathe followed me home.

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I went to look at a Cincinnati Tool Grinder/Cutter this weekend along with a lot of other miscellaneous machine tools/tooling/etc. They had this Cataract Bench lathe advertised but said there was no cross slide. While I was there picking through things (and after decided not to get the tool grinder) the son mentioned that the father said the cross slide was "in the area". I spent another hour looking around and managed to find some sort of contraption that at least fit the bed. It has some aspects of a cross slide and some turret like aspects as well. I found two other pieces in the same box. I don't really need the lathe but it looked lonely and promised it wouldn't take up much room in my shop. The boxes near the lathe parts were full of shiny 1" and 1.25" bar stock in old cardboard sleeves that said "PRECISE" on them. I'm not sure what kinda of metal they are but I got them along with a lot of various hold downs, lathe dogs, etc.

I plan to restore the lathe at some point. It looks like the lathe was setup for a few specific operations and I hope that what I have can be modified such that it would return to more general purpose operation. I'd love to hear more about what has followed me home!!

Attachments

• IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4224.jpg
    IMG_4224.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 212
Some more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 142
Catarcat Lathes (Tony had a bad spelling day)

The bed is Chicago-made, and is probably the 32 inch version without rear T-slot and probably has a serial number on the right end. The tailstock looks like a Chicago 9 inch that would have the unique "Cataract" taper if original. The headstock looks like an Elmira ball bearing model from the 1940's. There will be a serial number and Hardinge stamp on the right end. The first two digits in the headstock number are the collet size and swing, maybe 49 for 4C collet and 9" swing. If it takes 4C collets, the thread is 1-5/8-10 and tooling is scarce. The picture shows the markings on a similar BB47 headstock. The build year can be determined from the number on your headstock, which is newer than your bed and tailstock.

That rusty junk on the bed was not made by Hardinge.

Larry

Hardinge BB s-n 47-22814.JPG

Many thanks for the great detail! I looked at the back of the headstock and there isn't a number (or anything) on it. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Many thanks for the great detail! I looked at the back of the headstock and there isn't a number (or anything) on it. Is there somewhere else I should look?
"There will be a serial number and Hardinge stamp on the right end." The back is not the right end. Stand in front of the lathe and note which end is on your right. The end is machined flat, making a logical place to stamp markings.

Larry

Indeed... somehow I thought you meant there were two serial numbers, one for the bed (on the right end) and the other for the headstock (on the back). You certainly didn't say that so I'm not really sure where it came from!

So it look like it is a 9" swing and 4C collets. How do I decode the build date from the serial number?

Attachments

• IMG_4234 (1).jpg
    IMG_4234 (1).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 87
Indeed... somehow I thought you meant there were two serial numbers, one for the bed (on the right end) and the other for the headstock (on the back). You certainly didn't say that so I'm not really sure where it came from!

So it look like it is a 9" swing and 4C collets. How do I decode the build date from the serial number?

"The bed is Chicago-made, and is probably the 32 inch version without rear T-slot and probably has a serial number on the right end." Many of the Chicago beds have a serial number on the right end, different from the headstock number.

Your headstock, serial no. 49-14469, was built around the middle of 1940.

Larry

Gotcha, now I understand. Chicago is indeed where the bed was made and is indeed 32". I'm not sure what you mean about being without a rear T-slot but the T-slot for the bed does extend the length of the bed.

Many thanks for your quick responses and depth of knowledge. Any idea when the bed was made?

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpg
    IMG_4242.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 59
"I'm not sure what you mean about being without a rear T-slot but the T-slot for the bed does extend the length of the bed."

If you look at Tony's Cataract page, you will see a couple of pictures of Cataract beds with the optional rear T-slot, used for the thread chasing attachment.

Larry

"I'm not sure what you mean about being without a rear T-slot but the T-slot for the bed does extend the length of the bed."

If you look at Tony's Cataract page, you will see a couple of pictures of Cataract beds with the optional rear T-slot, used for the thread chasing attachment.

Larry

Right, I saw that on Tony's page and this lathe does not have that.

Looks like I'm going to need a carriage/cross slide for the lathe. What exactly should I be looking for and does anyone have an extra one?

Looks like I'm going to need a carriage/cross slide for the lathe. What exactly should I be looking for and does anyone have an extra one?

I think what you want is called a slide rest and I do have them. A slide rest has two cranks to move the tool in either of two directions. You want a 9 inch one, and there are four distinct models dating from about 1903, 1935, 1946 and 1960. The 1903 and 1935 types were also made for 7 inch lathes. Price varies with age and condition, mostly condition. It is very hard to find one that is not badly worn and/or damaged.

Hardinge made cross slides in 7" and 9" versions that were lever operated for use in conjunction with turret tailstocks. This type of bench lathe did not have a carriage.

Larry

RCP design wrote: " I don't really need the lathe but it looked lonely and promised it wouldn't take up much room in my shop. "

That's how these gals lure you in! They make you think they are not a major commitment. Next thing you know, you're spending hours lovingly giving her a bath in the electrolytic tank and massaging her surfaces with mild Scotch Brite. When you're done with the restoration, it will be hard to part with her.

I've had them say "Save me! Take me home! I'll give you hours of pleasure away from your wife! I'll let you fondle my handles!"

Looking forward to seeing the "After" pictures.

Whimsically Yours,
John Ruth

RCP design wrote: " I don't really need the lathe but it looked lonely and promised it wouldn't take up much room in my shop. "

That's how these gals lure you in! They make you think they are not a major commitment. Next thing you know, you're spending hours lovingly giving her a bath in the electrolytic tank and massaging her surfaces with mild Scotch Brite. When you're done with the restoration, it will be hard to part with her.

I've had them say "Save me! Take me home! I'll give you hours of pleasure away from your wife! I'll let you fondle my handles!"

Looking forward to seeing the "After" pictures.

Whimsically Yours,
John Ruth

It is so true it hurts :) Looks like I'm going to be spending some money on her as well... she neglected to mention she took 4C collets and her chuck was a rarity. She keeps claiming to have little runout but it looks like I'm going to be really invested in her before I find out if that's true. ;)

Back