What's new
What's new

Cataract on Dallas CL

Yep,that's the rare one!! I saw one in better shape(as seen from across the room) on a California Crags list a few years ago. Not as rusty/dirty,at least. Too far away.

Am I recalling correctly that there are only about 50 of these lathes still around?

Thanks. I passed it on to the Hardinge QC owners club.

Hardinge called this the quick change swing lathe. Of course the riser blocks are always lost, but there are some happy owners of the few basic machines still around. This is the ancestor of the HLV-H lathe.

Larry

Is this in storage or do people have shops with dirt floors?

How heavy is this brute, the bed looks solid?

Is this in storage or do people have shops with dirt floors?

How heavy is this brute, the bed looks solid?

Net weight was 850 pounds in the original catalog, which shows the version for overhead belt drive. Boxed weight was 1200 pounds, but they did not say what all was in the box. The electric drive and countershaft came along later and looks pretty heavy, even top heavy.

Farmers sometimes have steel buildings with dirt and stone floors. Cheaper than concrete.

Larry

I'd have to agree the price is high. I've tried to contact the owner through email and text but so far no answer.
Trying to find out what they might have squirreled away that goes along with the lathe.
And yes the overhead drive is quite heavy. Temporarily mounted it on my lathe before putting it into storage.
When I did this I came to the realization that when it is installed permanently I'll also lock down the lathe somehow
to prevent accidently hitting it and tipping it over.

Harold
Hardinge Cataract Restoration Project

I knew of one these that sold in the late 1980's for $3,000........ And that was a great deal!.... It was fully tooled, risers and every accessory in the catalog, loads of collets and chucks...... It was bought new around 1915 for home shop use...... And stayed in that dry basement for 75 years....... Very little use and about 95% of it's original paint!

IIRC, back when Reliable Tool was going great guns, an eBay auction that was widely followed here on PM resulted in the (RT) owner paying something past $5,000 for a lathe similar to what Rivett describes.

If it was within one day driving distance, it would feel worth offering ~1,200 - 1,500 and see what happens.
The way the ad is worded, it almost looks like another poor widow or beleagered daughter left to dispose of the late old man's toys... :) (Or maybe one of those guys that does not "do" internet and counts on the wife/daughter).

smt

I think we are up to somewhere around 30 of these lathes known to exist. This lathe is a later production model with the "big hole" in the bed.

I can't comment on its condition, but It looks to be very complete, with the exception of a bearing cover missing from the overhead drive, and the wooden handle for the 2-speed overhead drive shifter. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like most of the taper attachment is there, I just don't see the little handle to lock it to the cross slide. Also looks like the back gear and the back gear covers are in place, so maybe it the this is in good condition?

I hope someone near this lathe goes to take a look, and gets some more pictures and the serial number on the end of the bed. Who knows what accessories or tooling is laying around this lathe. The price is too much though, but the seller might come down...

Tyler

I wish I had more info to share. Only contact I had with the seller was by Text a week ago and she mentioned being able to give me more details. However no response since then and unable to get her to contact me via Email so pictures could be sent. Have texted her again today and hopefully something will come out of it.

Harold

Back