What's new
What's new

Center Tool & Machine Co Mill?

Bunk

Plastic
Hello Everybody-
I am hoping someone can help me identify what this Mill is. Google returns nothing applicable. There are no dates to be found anywhere on the castings.

IMG_20111112_093717.jpg

The only words are as shown: "Center Tool & Machine Co Flint"

IMG_20111112_093728.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Bunk,

Have you tried contacting the Flint Chamber of Commerce? CofC's sometimes have info on successors to defunct firms. They should at least be able to tell you if they are defunct and, if so, when.

JRR

Progress

So I contacted the Flint COC, who didn't have any info but directed me to the Sloan Museum, who has been very helpful and willing to gather up some info.
This is what I have so far:

We don’t have any photographs or archival materials related to the company. I did check the city directories and found the first entry for the company in 1939. “Center Tool & Machine Co. (Geo F. VanParis, Don H. Dawson) Machinists, Dies, Tools, Fixtures, Stampings, Experimental and Model Work. 1722 Glenwood Ave. Tel 9-5931.” It was also listed in the 1942 Directory, but not in the 1946. We don’t have a complete run of the 1940s Directories. If you like I can go to the library and check the other years, but a date of 1939-1945 seems reasonable. Jane M, Curator of Collections

Chris,
I just received some information that Jane uncovered about Center Tool and sent on to you. I know it is not much but your photos have provided us with a bit more information for our records and I do thank you for that. Hopefully the dates and location will be helpful. I have a couple of calls in to some gentlemen who may recall the company and I should have answers from them within the next few days. One fellow I spoke with noted that the location is near the old Chevy in the Hole site so I would assume that the company provided support to that plant in some way.I will forward to you any information that the others may recall.

Best regards.
Tim

It's a start. Any chance it could be a mill made by someone else and simply had CT&M Co name inserted on that part of the casting? Something they might do for whomever customer decided they needed that mill?

Bunk

I was going through some old email yesterday and I came across some further info that I had received on this mill:
Subject: RE: Center Tool & Machine Company History
Hello Chris,

I had the opportunity to visit with one of our longtime residents who has been in the metals business in Flint. His grandfather started the business and what I learned was that many machine shops received Federal contracts during WWII. Some of these were given directly to the smaller shops and in other cases GM farmed out some of the work they could not get done. Due to the location of the Center Tool, directly across the street from Chevy in the Hole, it would seem very likely that they would have been working with Chevy during the War. As you may recall, Jane noted that she could not find the name of the Center Tool Company in the 1945 City Directory. According to this contact he noted that when WWII ended all the contracts were ended abruptly and many of the smaller shops simply could not survive until additional work came along. In the case of this gentleman’s grandfathers business, Bruce informed me that his grandfather just about lost his shop but was able to hook up with American Flyer and made metal wheels and axles for the toy trains until more substantial work came along a year or two after the War. Bruce is contacting a couple of additional old timers that he knows who now live in Florida to see if they might have a recollection of the company. More may be on the way.

Best regards.

Tim

Tim Shickles
Director, Sloan Museum & Longway Planetarium

And then several months later:

Hello Chris,

It has been a while but I have one volunteer who just loves to dig into stories of long gone companies. A few weeks ago I mentioned to him that I had been working on a company, Center Tool, and had sent only partial information to you. This volunteer, Bob, delivered to me a bit more information to me late last week so I thought I had better pass it along to you if you still have interest. Bob found the company located at 1722 Glenwood Ave. in Flint in 1941. This would place the business right next store to Chevy in the Hole as the address is at the corner of Glenwood and Chevrolet Ave. If you check Mapquest on your computer and plug in the address you will see the location of the business. Center Tool & Machine Co was run by George F Van Paris and Don H Dawson. They did machining, dies, tools, fixtures, stampings, experimentals, and model work. In the 1937 directory Bob was able to locate George Van Paris as a Foreman at A.G. Redmond in Owosso, MI. (just down the road about 20 miles west of Flint). Don Dawson was listed in the 1937 directory as a Diemaker at AC Spark Plug in Flint.

In 1943-45 Center Tool moved to 1409 N. Saginaw. This would have put the business about 10 blocks from Buick manufacturing plant.
Once again Bob could only find the company in business for 1938 to 1945. According to Bob it looks as if the last year or two George and Don might have been working out of the same building that Genesee Motor Sales was located in on N. Saginaw. This was a Cadillac- Pontiac dealership, and with no new cars to sell during WWII Center Tool may have been renting space from the dealership.

That is all that there is on Center Tool. I suspect Bob will have some more for me one of these days if there is anything else to uncover. He is always bringing me some new tidbit of info on research work he is digging into.

I hope you are well.

Best regards.

Tim

Tim Shickles
Director, Sloan Museum & Longway Planetarium

Not much more than some history about the area and the industry, but interesting non the less.

Heh, yeah the pictures in this thread are Rich's mill. I was going to buy it, but a divorce at the time squashed those plans.
Rich is a great guy, I bought my Rockwell 10x24 lathe from him.

Center Tool ended up in Cheboygan Michigan around 1945,46. Made mainly valve stem retainers for GM till around late 80's. Closed due to contaminated heat treating water showing up in waste water treatment plant. George was my grandfather. I worked there from 1973 to 1976.

Center Tool ended up in Cheboygan Michigan around 1945,46. Made mainly valve stem retainers for GM till around late 80's. Closed due to contaminated heat treating water showing up in waste water treatment plant. George was my grandfather. I worked there from 1973 to 1976.

So, did your grandfather make the little mill back in history that you know of?

Back