What's new
What's new

Rocky Flats Plant Photos

316825pv.jpg

...and here it is now...all gone...

rf.jpg~original

Amazing photos. Including a couple basically entitled "What happens when
your glove box full of plutonium catches on fire."

Taken by guys wearing full body suits and proto-SCBA gear....

Well, not really. Earthquakes in Colorado? We finally figured out that they were being caused by the injection of the waste from the plant into deep wells (nobody will ever know the difference, right?)
I don't remember the exact dates all of this was happening, but when tremors starting happening in OK, I knew right away what was going on.
Same BS from the companies, backed by their paid geologists.

Lee (the saw guy)

Well, not really. Earthquakes in Colorado? We finally figured out that they were being caused by the injection of the waste from the plant into deep wells (nobody will ever know the difference, right?)
I don't remember the exact dates all of this was happening, but when tremors starting happening in OK, I knew right away what was going on.

Lee (the saw guy)

...that was the Rocky Mountain Arsenal...east of Denver...Rocky Flats site is west of Denver between Golden and Boulder...I was still living at home when the earthquakes occurred...later linked to pumping waste into the wells at the Arsenal...I was nearly bounced out of my bed early one morning by one of those quakes...

Lee (the saw guy)

This is probably where the oilfield was testing "fracking" in it's development back in the day....

...that was the Rocky Mountain Arsenal...east of Denver...Rocky Flats site is west of Denver between Golden and Boulder...I was still living at home when the earthquakes occurred...later linked to pumping waste into the wells at the Arsenal...I was nearly bounced out of my bed early one morning by one of those quakes...

Article in the New Yorker about earthquakes & deep injection wells:

The Arrival of Man-Made Earthquakes - The New Yorker

Paul

Article in the New Yorker about earthquakes & deep injection wells:

The Arrival of Man-Made Earthquakes - The New Yorker

Paul

The first case of earthquakes caused by fluid injection came in the nineteen-sixties. Engineers at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, a chemical-weapons manufacturing center near Commerce City, Colorado, disposed of waste fluids by injecting them down a twelve-thousand-foot well. More than a thousand earthquakes resulted, several of magnitudes close to 5.0. “Unintentionally, it was a great experiment,” Justin Rubinstein, who researches induced seismicity for the U.S.G.S., told me.

...I have to wonder about it being "unintentional"...

I have a Monarch 10ee that came from Rocky Flats, machine number 059:
05f464d0b4b1f286c823cc450feebeac.jpg

Still has the Rocky Flats asset tags on it:
be31468958afc26733bcb210311bd498.jpg

Going through the photos you linked to I found my lathe! Building 881, machine number 059. Lathe's manufacture date is 1966, photo was taken in 1970 before Rockwell repainted it blue:
56530a2b9d187e4e15465df54bbc6ca8.jpg

Thanks for posting that link. Pretty cool to find my machine in its original habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back