What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 20" Shaper

Thanks. I haven’t had a chance to do any diagnostics to it. First symptom was the brake wouldn’t “park” the ram. After about 3 attempts, the clutch wouldn’t engage. Could be as simple as the control switch/lever. But suspect it’s either the step down transformer or rectifier. I’m assuming at this point the clutch/brake operates of lower voltage DC current. IDK

Yeah, they are equipped with Warner electric clutch and brake. It is DC voltage, from what I remembered it is 90 volts max. There is two brush carriers, check those for wear, crud, destroyed. Go from there.

The electric enclosure had a diagram in a pocket on the cover. It’s showing a 90 V rectifier but it must be mounted in front of the enclosure behind some of the other covers. I really wanted to check all I could with a volt-ohm meter before I began taking anything apart. How do you access the carbon brushes?

The carbon brushes are in a self contained unit that looks like a old limit switch. Not sure of it's mounting on the shaper. Just follow the flexible conduit to them and go from there. This was standard components that you could buy off the shelf years back. I couldn't even tell you if Warner is still in business today. Infact, they are. Start here. Brakes Products | Warner Electric

Thanks I’ll research it a bit later today. I’m in a bind over it being down. I have the 20” & also a 24” both dedicated to a single ongoing job. I have auto cut off made on the feed so I can walk off from them after setting a new cut.

Think I have tracked the problem down to a bare wire underneath the pulley at the clutch-brake. Is that pulley on a tapered shaft? I can see 2 puller bolt holes. Just wondering how difficult the pulley is to get off

Back