What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2ML Rebuild

A Dull Beaver

Plastic
I purchased a Cincinnati 2ML in February and have since started the long rebuild process. One thing I'm concerned about is how to verify that I am oiling the knee lifting screw properly. According to the only service manual I can find it requires the same oil that the knee internals do. I have no idea what lubricates it and if it is in fact being lubricated.

I am concerned about this because the knee is difficult to crank upward. It is not all that difficult to crank downward but gravity is helping the situation there. I'd like the knee screw to be greased because then I could apply a moly grease to it and thus help my situation. The model number for the machine is: 5J2UIV-6 R.

So far I have taken all the old paint off, cleaned as much as I could, rewired it for 240V and hooked it up to a VFD. The VFD really just supplies 60Hz three phase to both motors. If needed, I could always tweak it to adjust the speed of whatever gear I'm in.

If anyone could provide an estimate of when it was made I'd really appreciate it. It seems like a great machine. It really hasn't required much work to get in operation. Hope to post links to videos wherein I use it a bit.

IMG_3059.jpg

I purchased a Cincinnati 2ML in February and have since started the long rebuild process. One thing I'm concerned about is how to verify that I am oiling the knee lifting screw properly. According to the only service manual I can find it requires the same oil that the knee internals do. I have no idea what lubricates it and if it is in fact being lubricated.

I am concerned about this because the knee is difficult to crank upward. It is not all that difficult to crank downward but gravity is helping the situation there. I'd like the knee screw to be greased because then I could apply a moly grease to it and thus help my situation. The model number for the machine is: 5J2UIV-6 R.

So far I have taken all the old paint off, cleaned as much as I could, rewired it for 240V and hooked it up to a VFD. The VFD really just supplies 60Hz three phase to both motors. If needed, I could always tweak it to adjust the speed of whatever gear I'm in.

If anyone could provide an estimate of when it was made I'd really appreciate it. It seems like a great machine. It really hasn't required much work to get in operation. Hope to post links to videos wherein I use it a bit.

View attachment 260059

I'd think twice about greasing the knee elevating screw. You will find that chips will stick to the grease.

Regards Tyrone.

Generally, VFDs don't like anything between them and the motor (singular): before learning the hard way, make sure that your VFD is a special one that can run multiple motors of different size at once and doesn't care of having switches between the VFD and the motors.

Paolo

Generally, VFDs don't like anything between them and the motor (singular): before learning the hard way, make sure that your VFD is a special one that can run multiple motors of different size at once and doesn't care of having switches between the VFD and the motors.

Paolo

The VFD is a cheap one so if it fails to perform I'm not out that much a loss. The overarm can't be started until the horizontal spindle motor is up to speed. I also oversized the VFD to well beyond the combined FLAs of each motor so hopefully it wont mind the hard start of the smaller overarm motor.

I have lost my rapid traverse. I was raising the knee, it started to slip and then completely quit. I'm reading through the maintenance manual on vintage machinery but the exploded part view of the rapid traverse clutch seems like it is wrong from what I see through the inspection port. I'm not completely sure but I think I have gone to the end of the threads on the pinned take-up nut and I still have almost 1/8" before the plates touch when the lever is all the way engaged. Any advice would be appreciated!

A friend has one of these and I seem to recall he had a similar problem. Make sure you haven't hit a limit switch which will cut off the rapid traverse.

Back