What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Tool Cutter Grinder #1-1/2 rescue

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
18 months ago I spent two days trying to convince myself I could rescue an old Cincinnati Tool Cutter Grinder. The problem was it was stuck down in a hole, on the side of a near cliff which access by a gravel driveway that would make a goat nervous. I didn't know how much it weighed and while the owners thought it was 300lbs I couldn't even get it to lean. I found out later it weighs 600lbs without motor. Since I already had a big power hacksaw in my van and no way to get anything else up there I had to turn my back on the poor thing and leave it sitting outside in the weather where it had been sitting for 25 years.
Fast forward to last Friday and my weekly (ok daily, don't judge) CL search and the poor thing popped up again. This time with the price of $50 or it is going to be pushed off the cliff (I made the last part up). My son and I went up there this morning, titled it onto a steel wagon and push/pulled it up out of the hole and got it in the van. It was a pretty nerve wracking drive back down the driveway and, of course, we bottomed out at the bottom but managed to get free and get it home. This poor guy may be beyond hope but one day I plan to give it my best shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7651.jpg
    IMG_7651.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_7652.jpg
    IMG_7652.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_7650.jpg
    IMG_7650.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 367
Here some more bits I got while we were there. Some of the items probably go with the Cincinnati while others just begged to be taken home. I've got a L&W dividing head but this one had a gear set and I thought that looked useful. It is in rough shape but probably can be restored.

Attachments

• IMG_7675.jpg
    IMG_7675.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_7674.jpg
    IMG_7674.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7673.jpg
    IMG_7673.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_7669.jpg
    IMG_7669.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 216
Couple more pieces for the cutter grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_7678.jpg
    IMG_7678.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7677.jpg
    IMG_7677.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7676.jpg
    IMG_7676.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 189
so much good junk!!! nice find.

I kind of hate that my T&C is a Makino C40 clone. I wish it were something more interesting.

I was given one of those when my buddy's dad passed. He had modified it. Now it is more of a surface grinder than a cutter grinder. I have used it sparingly but it works pretty well.

Attachments

• P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 287
  • P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 193
I was given one of those when my buddy's dad passed. He had modified it. Now it is more of a surface grinder than a cutter grinder. I have used it sparingly but it works pretty well.

I saw your post and looked over your pictures. Definitely have been and will be a help to me when restoring this one.

Here are some pictures after arrival in the shop. I'm trying to link these to a hosting site so the size will be better.

3aeiNEn.jpg

5zM06Lz.jpg

FxyzHPE.jpg

I3V2RSj.jpg

QtDM6p9.jpg

Was that machine built as electric motor drive?

I believe it was as the head is all one casting that includes the motor support. I'll get a picture of the motor up soon. It has a two step flat belt pulley that matches perfectly with the idler that's also built into the casting.

On the mills CMMco had well developed plain bearing designs somewhat akin to Hendey - with tapered front journal. I imagine that well used ring nut with its "experience" in the way of bashed pin spanner holes has something to do with snugging up the front journal. Note similar on this 1913 scan for a hefty mill

Spindle Cone Scan 1913.jpg

The basic machine looks much better than some of the accessories. Some of them are approaching the "iron ore" stage, but I have been surprised before about how well some totally destroyed-looking items have come out to be working and useful items when carefully restored.

You seem to have one or two turret lathe tools in the lot. And that LW seems to have the helical milling setup. Wish mine did! If it cleans up, you will be set for a number of useful tasks if you can get a drive from your mill's table feed.

On the mills CMMco had well developed plain bearing designs somewhat akin to Hendey - with tapered front journal. I imagine that well used ring nut with its "experience" in the way of bashed pin spanner holes has something to do with snugging up the front journal. Note similar on this 1913 scan for a hefty mill

View attachment 280718

As usual, you're right John. Last night I took the spindle apart and it is tapered front and rear, ring nuts on both ends that neatly integrate with the cone pulley. Much to my relief the internals look fantastic. I think ring nuts will clean up ok and I'll either turn down the cone pulley or build it up and turn it down.

Back