Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    The basic machine looks much better than some of the accessories. Some of them are approaching the "iron ore" stage, but I have been surprised before about how well some totally destroyed-looking items have come out to be working and useful items when carefully restored.

You seem to have one or two turret lathe tools in the lot. And that LW seems to have the helical milling setup. Wish mine did! If it cleans up, you will be set for a number of useful tasks if you can get a drive from your mill's table feed.

There are a few pieces on the mill that will definitely need to be created but I think I can handle all of them. If I can get the lead screws freed from the nuts and the knee and head off the column without breaking something then it should be just fine.

Several of the accessories work together. The vise in the picture is mounted on a base that goes on the table, the vise comes off and the other swivel mechanism goes on the base. In addition the swivel mechanism comes apart and you can insert one piece to have the vise mounted perpendicular to the table. It is all pretty cool, I ended up with more original tooling that I thought I would get.

The big vise is pretty cool and probably not related to the machine. It has teeth of sorts on each side that can be positioned to hold an irregular shaped object and the locked into place. Hopefully that will free up.

The L&W does seem to have the helical setup and the Hendey horizontal should be able to drive it. I have another L&W that is identical but it doesn't have the sliding gears. I'll probably restore it and sell it after either duplicating the gear setup or selling it without.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RCPDesigns View Post
    I saw your post and looked over your pictures. Definitely have been and will be a help to me when restoring this one.
    Here is s link when I did my restoration. More pics and info that may be helpful.
    Picked up two grinders

3. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Billygoat View Post
    Here is s link when I did my restoration. More pics and info that may be helpful.
    Picked up two grinders
    How did you get the gib for the knee off? There is a big slotted bolt on the front right side but mine only turns about one turn in each direction. I removed bolt from under in the rear and can tap the gib forward and backwards about 1/2". It moves fairly easy but comes to a dead stop in each direction.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the spindle disassembled and partially assembled. Rear of spindle is upper right, middle is upper left and lower right, front is lower left.

6. Likes DJ2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The head from the 1919 Cutter Grinder manual.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cincinnati-no.1-one-half-head-1919-1d.jpg   cincinnati-no.1-one-half-head-1919-1c.jpg  

8. Likes RCPDesigns, sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lang View Post
    The head from the 1919 Cutter Grinder manual.

Rob
    Could I get the 1919 Cutter Grinder manual from you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How did you get the gib for the knee off? There is a big slotted bolt on the front right side but mine only turns about one turn in each direction. I removed bolt from under in the rear and can tap the gib forward and backwards about 1/2". It moves fairly easy but comes to a dead stop in each direction.
    The restoration was done 8 years ago so I really don't remember. But I don't recall having any problem with dis-assembly. I tore it down to nothing and built it back up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0328121957.jpg   0327121959.jpg   0329122007.jpg  

11. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could I get the 1919 Cutter Grinder manual from you?
    I must be getting senile. RCPDesigns wanted the 1919 cutter grinder manual.
    I had a pdf of it. I tried to email it to him but it was 50 MB and I have a 20 MB limit on my emails.
    There are things I could do to reduce the size but they cost money.
    I was trying to remember where I downloaded it but could not remember.
    All the research I have been doing on New Haven Mfg. and John Parshley has filled up my brain.
    Duh, I have it posted in the sticky on manuals and books in post #85.

Here is the 1919 manual.

CONTENTdm

Here is a 1912 one for the No.1 cutter grinder.

CONTENTdm

I use to have a No.1 1/2 but I sold it because I had no tooling for it.
    Not much use with no tooling.

Rob

13. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lang View Post
    I must be getting senile. RCPDesigns wanted the 1919 cutter grinder manual.
    I had a pdf of it. I tried to email it to him but it was 50 MB and I have a 20 MB limit on my emails.
    There are things I could do to reduce the size but they cost money.
    I was trying to remember where I downloaded it but could not remember.
    All the research I have been doing on New Haven Mfg. and John Parshley has filled up my brain.
    Duh, I have it posted in the sticky on manuals and books in post #85.

Here is the 1919 manual.

CONTENTdm

Here is a 1912 one for the No.1 cutter grinder.

CONTENTdm

I use to have a No.1 1/2 but I sold it because I had no tooling for it.
    Not much use with no tooling.

Rob
    Many thanks Rob, wonderful copy of the manual, no wonder it was 50MB!!

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A question....how do the table slide rollers /tracks cope with being out in the weather.The reason I ask is I have my old #2 in a container ,with leaks here and there ,and was wondering if its worth worrying about.Yes,its depressing,but what can you do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After looking through the manual I realized I was missing a pretty critical piece of tooling... the "the work head". I vaguely saw something that might be it when I was up there so I drove back up to see if I could find it. Alas the item I thought might be it was just an alternator. Fortunately though after an hour or so I was able to locate it. It was stored indoors but in the back of a very damp basement. As such it is a little rusty but the spindle still turns smoothly. It has a B&S 12 taper and with adapters can manage any of the tooling I have. It is missing one of the 90 degree brackets but I found two of those on the first trip so all is well. All in all I feel very very fortunate as that could have been a 9 hour trip with nothing to show for.

So in summary, the spindle is fine and the saddle leadscrew at least turns. I have the most of the original tooling and certainly enough to get a lot of different type jobs done. I slid the unit over against the wall to joint the shaper and mill to await restoration. I'm in the process of restoring a 1952 MG TD and once that is done I'll get on the 3 machines.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I'm not mistaken, your machine's table-to-spindle height is the same as most every other tool and cutter grinder that Cincinnati made after your machine, so if you are missing any tooling, you can probably find it in Ebay.

18. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pulled the work head and vise out of the Evaporust and cleaned them off. Looks like they'll be just fine. Cleaned up the other mounts and started on the L&W Chuck. Someone put anti-seize on basically all moving parts of the dividing head including the bolts. I guess they knew it was going to be in the elements. Glad they did, it is coming apart easy.

20. Likes Robert Lang, mister honey liked this post