What's new
What's new

Clausing 6913 Lathe

Shop Addict

Plastic
I was finally fortunate to be able to buy a Clausing 6913 dual speed, 14x48 in lathe. The previous owner virtually destroyed it, but I brought it back to life. I rebuilt the Variable speed pulley assemblies, cleaned everything, drained and lubed it properly, but now I need to replace the drum switch. Contact Number 11 is smoked and virtually not there. Clausing no longer makes that switch so I thought of going to 2 switches or finding someone that rebuilds the contacts on drum switches. My plan is for 2 switches, One for FWD OFF REV and one for the fast slow speed. Does anyone have wiring diagrams or an idea what kind of motor this has? i.e. double or single wound? wye or delta? It was working but now I have REV slow and Fast and FWD slow, but when I go to FWD fast, the motor hums and doesn't start.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

You going to have to get down on your back and clean off the name plate on the motor and take pictures. It should tell you what kind of motor you have. Next, take the cover off of the pecker head and count how many wires are coming out of the motor. For a two speed motor, you can have five or six wires coming out of the motor. As for switches, I would trash out what you have there, go with a VFD on the high RPM side of the motor. May be better off pulling the motor and put a single speed motor in it's place. BTW- a two speed motor starter is going to cost you over a $1000 bucks, if you can find one. The way you are looking at doing may work and it may not work. Ken

Back