What's new
What's new

Cleveland Twist Drill

Something very satisfying to me about those photographs, posed or not. Thanks for posting them.
The '50's don't seem that long ago, but technologically that era is ancient history.

-Marty-

These fellows remind me of the machinists I worked with /for back in the day. "No, we don't have any ear plugs or safety glasses, why?" Regards, Clark

We don't see photos of machinery-in-use very often these days, but professional photography hasn't given up much, if anything, from the 1950's. The old medium- and large-format film cameras did make some things easier. The modern digital sensors make other things easier, and if you have the money you can buy a medium-format digital sensor, too. Modern lighting is vastly easier to use. 1950's Brownie film cameras (and their peers) are totally outclassed by low-cost digital SLRs and possibly rivaled by "free" cell phone cameras, but the quality of disposable vacation- and selfie-class photography remains limited by the taste and skill of the operator now as in the 1950's.

BTW, those photos are not only posed and (especially) lit for good results. Several of the screw machine and turret lathe shots have been heavily processed (in the enlarger, pre-Photoshop). Look at the photo of the receding hairline guy leaning forward with a couple of reamers in the two closest positions of his turret lathe. Depth of focus is all over the place and the tools were either manually retouched (very painstaking work) or composited in from other negatives. They aren't just clean, they are bone dry while the turret and tool holders are sopping wet with coolant.

I also suspect the use of a tilt-shift lens to keep everything on the lathe bed plane in focus, in this photo and also in the closeup of the round-turret screw machine making brass parts. You can still buy tilt-shift lens for SLR's ($1000's) but that work was really easy to do with old-style bellows-body medium- and large-format cameras.

None of that is a criticism, by the way. For commercial photography, it's all about making the subject pop, and there is no place for "photo purism" there.

None of that is a criticism, by the way. For commercial photography, it's all about making the subject pop, and there is no place for "photo purism" there.

It is just your opinion....

You wanted a venue to post about photography and this thread is it.

It is obvious what the pics are all 'about' and they convey that message.

The key is to not be obscured by clouds, all while remembering the quality products from CTD in the day and the pride the employees had in the company.

You wanted a venue to post about photography and this thread is it.
I seriously do not understand this statement. You're the original poster in this thread. I made an appreciative comment. What are you trying to say?
It is obvious what the pics are all 'about' and they convey that message.
Commercial photography is about the product. These photos do a good job.
The key is to not be obscured by clouds, all while remembering the quality products from CTD in the day and the pride the employees had in the company.
Wow. I think we must be having two completely different conversations, right past one another. Good day.

My uncle owned a gear shop, Trico Machine and Gear. I can smell the sulfur oil just sitting here typing this and looking at those pictures. I learned it all on a #3-#5 W&S turret lathe.

Good days

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Back