What's new
What's new

Colchester lathes

I haven't even looked at the video yet. I will say they are super and ran continuously. They are intricate and sections, when they break, are hard to reproduce. I'll tell you that the Nazis shouldn't have messed with Great Britain they way they did. Retribution was hell on earth and what a freakin waste.

Hold on now. There were reasons. It was perhaps waste on many levels but it HAD TO BE DONE! fINALITY and stop it. Afterwhich our greatest adversaries build incredible machines. It all sucks in a way because imagine all the innocents caught in that torment.

That's a great film, it's one thing to hear a description of the production methods and another to actually see them. I see the painter was spraying carcinogenic zinc chromate paint without a mask: it was linked to increased lung cancers in factory workers although it's hard to see what the true colours would be it seems to be a digitally colourized film with all the machine tools being a bright gold.

That's a great film, it's one thing to hear a description of the production methods and another to actually see them. I see the painter was spraying carcinogenic zinc chromate paint without a mask: it was linked to increased lung cancers in factory workers although it's hard to see what the true colours would be it seems to be a digitally colourized film with all the machine tools being a bright gold.

I thought that also, there were quite a few instances of lack of personal protection equipment.

Those travelling demonstration vehicles wer quite popular in those days. From memory I can recall seeing both " AutoWard " and " Accuratool " capstan lathes being demonstrated in the back of a vehicle.

Regards Tyrone.

It's Technicolour but it you are right it is colourized makes them look like had a quick 'craigs list' makeover - looks like Duplicolor Gold to me :-)

It was a good video. The hand made bearings was a bit of a revelation. It doesn't suggest they're irreplaceable.

That was just selective assembly having graded the rollers into batches, much as pistons used to be on engine assembly lines

It was a good video. The hand made bearings was a bit of a revelation. It doesn't suggest they're irreplaceable.

AFAIK - Gamut bearings used on Colchester lathes have always been replaceable, ……….their affordability :eek: was another matter entirely.

Bearings

I like the way she inspected each one then tossed right into the pile...
Bet the bottoms rollers develop a few imperfections. But then again she a better man than me I would last 20 minutes on that bench and I would have to have a drink..and I don’t drink:)

Would you like to spend 40 hours a week sorting out those rollers ? You couldn't pay me enough, maybe that's why they cost an arm and a leg.

Regards Tyrone.

That sort of thing was pretty much the rule for most folk in mass industrial (when we had industrial) and (still is) production line work. Not seriously different than pulling the handle on a Britan or Ward on the factory floor. But warmer and cleaner. I'm told by folk who did such inspections that you get into a sort of fugue state rhythm and time tends to disappear. Only the wrong uns get noticed.

Nearest I ever got to that type of work was three months in a dark lab taking something like 10 or 12 thousand measurements to support an obtuse research paper on optical focal length matching for hyper-spectral imaging. Being isolated in the dark an alarm clock was essential. Forgot to set the thing one morning, wondered why I felt hungry and discovered it was past 6 in the evening. There is a reason why I got good at setting up computerised data collection systems when they became affordable in later years!

Clive

Not to de-rail this thread,but has anyone come up with a replacement for the Gamut bearings. I hear about the expense of replacing them and wondered if a different bearing setup could be used?

JH

I like the way she inspected each one then tossed right into the pile...

I noticed that too. Sort them into batches, toss them through the air into a pile.

These days all those bearing people were probably automated out of existence.

Back