Colchester Student roundhead strip and refurb.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Colchester Student roundhead strip and refurb.

Hi guys, I have been keeping a low profile for the last couple of years whilst I completed the refurbish on my workshop. It has taken a lot longer than I thought, but life gets in the way of best intentions! I am now nearing completion and I am starting a you tube channel consisting of slideshows of what I have done, and in future, videos of what I am doing, and machines I am rebuilding and using. Hope you enjoy them, and please leave a like if you do, or even subscribe! I will be trying to put out a slideshow or video every week till I have cleared the backlog of still photos, and now I am using the GoPro to record more of what I am doing, things can only get better. Hope you enjoy!
    Phil,
    UK
    YouTube

lathe.jpg
    Last edited by hermetic; 09-29-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    Hi guys, I have been keeping a low profile for the last couple of years whilst I completed the refurbish on my workshop. It has taken a lot longer than I thought, but life gets in the way of best intentions! I am now nearing completion and I am starting a you tube channel consisting of slideshows of what I have done, and in future, videos of what I am doing, and machines I am rebuilding and using. Hope you enjoy them, and please leave a like if you do, or even subscribe! I will be trying to put out a slideshow or video every week till I have cleared the backlog of still photos, and now I am using the GoPro to record more of what I am doing, things can only get better. Hope you enjoy!
    Phil,
    UK
    YouTube

lathe.jpg
    Nice, I learned how to turn on a " Colchester " just like that one.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Tyrone, I learned on this DS&G 13Z my first lathe, in 1975, The Colchester still has a couple of issues, main one being spindle bearings, but luckily I was able to buy some from Ebay for not too much, and I didn't expect too much, but when they arrived, they were in amazingly good condition. Now I have fixed all the other little niggles, and know the machine is basically sound, I am more inclined to go for "the big one" and strip the headstock. The only other problem is the outboard leadscrew bush has a lot of play, and the leadscrew boss looks to be a bit worn as well, but thats simple enough to fix.. I wanted to commission my other lathe before tackling this one so I have a fall back machine in case I need to turn up any spacers etc for bearing extraction. Have you ever stripped a Colchester student spindle? Is there anything I should beware of? The reason I suspect the bearings is that it is VERY noisy in the higher speeds, a lot noisier than other students I have heard running that is, the spindle preload nuts have been "adjusted" with a hammer and punch by the looks of it, and when I flushed the box out with white spirit, there was a fine grey powder coming out of the front spindle bearing drain hole :-(

ds-g-1.jpg

If you look at the walls behind the DS&G you can see why I had to refurbish the workshop!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    Thanks Tyrone, I learned on this DS&G 13Z my first lathe, in 1975, The Colchester still has a couple of issues, main one being spindle bearings, but luckily I was able to buy some from Ebay for not too much, and I didn't expect too much, but when they arrived, they were in amazingly good condition. Now I have fixed all the other little niggles, and know the machine is basically sound, I am more inclined to go for "the big one" and strip the headstock. The only other problem is the outboard leadscrew bush has a lot of play, and the leadscrew boss looks to be a bit worn as well, but thats simple enough to fix.. I wanted to commission my other lathe before tackling this one so I have a fall back machine in case I need to turn up any spacers etc for bearing extraction. Have you ever stripped a Colchester student spindle? Is there anything I should beware of? The reason I suspect the bearings is that it is VERY noisy in the higher speeds, a lot noisier than other students I have heard running that is, the spindle preload nuts have been "adjusted" with a hammer and punch by the looks of it, and when I flushed the box out with white spirit, there was a fine grey powder coming out of the front spindle bearing drain hole :-(

ds-g-1.jpg

If you look at the walls behind the DS&G you can see why I had to refurbish the workshop!!
    No I haven't had the spindle out of a Student. I never really came across many in my time in industry. They were usually training school lathes. It shouldn't be too difficult though. I've had the spindles out of the bigger " Colchester's " and they were quite straight forward. Just take your time and only use the minimum amount of force. The powder doesn't sound good, it's not a bad idea to examine them a bit more closely.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"The powder doesn't sound good"No Tyrone, thats exactly what I thought, just like a grey/black stain in the flush, but you could see it in the oil as well, and it had settled out around the drain hole for the main bearing. Next job will be to measure any run out and play I can find, and then proceed with caution! It has the two speed motor on it, and I dare not use the higher speeds, because of the noise, but in the lower speeds it is fine, though it does complain bitterly when parting off which could be some slack in the bearings. I will post up when I do it, and probably try to do a video as well, as I can't seem to find one, and if I get it done ok, every day can be a school day!
    Phil.