What's new
What's new

Collectors: What type of Spring Calipers do you prefer ?

SalemRule

Cast Iron
Ok, this question is directed at Collectors. You know, people that own tools that they never intend to use.

Because if I asked what type is most useful, that would be a bit silly. It depends entirely on the task.

heimmC3.jpg

Collectors like, above all, to LOOK at things. Yes, history is important, but tools that please our eyes, may be just as critical.

So, putting usefulness aside, what Calipers do you prefer to own ?

For me, there is no contest.

I like Bow-Leg Spring-Style Outside Calipers best. They just seem to far more graceful and pleasing to my eyes.

What about you ?

PS Not shown, but closely related, are Dividers. I would place Dividers as my second choice as favorites.

Attachments

• heimmC3.jpg
    heimmC3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 14
Pretty ones! The more unusual the mechanism the better. Graceful shape, Brass, bronze, engraving, nice knurling all score extra points too.

Picking favorites might be like choosing which kid is the best, depends on your mood at the moment. I have a wall with a hundred calipers/dividers mounted on it, my guess is that at anytime 10 of them would be in the running as to my favorite, but it would change each day which of the those 10 would win.

Decorating the Shop Wall with Antique Calipers

I have a draw full of Starrett calipers, possibly use one once a year. If used I would think it's the Inside either spring or firm joint in locations where nothing else will work.

Back