What's new
What's new

Cook Multicheck and Millng machine indexing fixture.

SplinterFingers

Plastic
This is my second try to post this so if it already exists, sorry...
I have this Cook Multicheck and I'd like to hear from anyone who's ever used one. The second photo is of the P/N S/N plate with the vernier for measuring the angle of the azimuth rose along the bottom of the work plate. There is also a vernier for measuring the tilt underneath. It's odd to me that there is no means of bolting the device down so I suppose it was only intended to be used on a reference plate. The third and fourth photos are of a fixture I inherited from my dad. The spindle accepts the chucks and face plates from my South Bend 9" lathe and also is an MT3 taper. I stuck a couple of gears on the index side and an SB nose protector and MT3/JT33 adapter into the spindle just to show scale and function. Presumable this was produced to bolt to a milling machine bed for cutting gears. Anyone know who made it and am I guessing correctly about the use?CookMultiCheck.jpgCookMCTagVernier.jpgGearFixture.jpgGearFixtWithGears.jpg

Hey, that's the second one of those I've seen! I have the first. It's stamped differently, but still a Cook & Sons. Beautifully made and seemingly very precise. It's a model #63. Mine was given to me by a friend who didn't know what it was either. The dirty rat!

Last edited:
We have one of the Cook devices at Tuckahoe. Beautifully made but too light for any serious milling. Could it be an instrument maker's fixture?

We have one of the Cook devices at Tuckahoe. Beautifully made but too light for any serious milling. Could it be an instrument maker's fixture?

I got it from a dear late friend who worked at the defunct Timex plant so, yes, it probably was used for that. I think it was never used in fabrication but only for checking the precision of a piece.

Back