A cool Tap and Die set....
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know I just can resist owning cool old machinist's tool..... I pick this up this summer for $ 26....... nice and almost unused.... it is a Hart's patent die stock.... pat. Aug. 29 1882...... their patented feature was after you cut the threads you would back off the cutters as they believed that more damage to them was done while backing up than doing the actual cutting...... the quality is wonderful.... every part fitted to this one which they must have made in large batches as this one is 440. Size are from 1/4" to 1" and the handle is hollow....... it is so nice just to hold such finely made tools....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The workmanship is beautiful and someone (or more) kept it in perfect condition for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett,

Thanks for taking the trouble to show these photos. I always enjoy seeing these examples of ingenuity and good workmanship. I don't always comment, as I have nothing to add, but this doesn't signify lack of interest. I'm sure that goes for many other people who look and don't comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Asquith... thanks for your comments...... I often wonder just how many people see this stuff and by the number of responses one can not tell if they are wasting their time posting it.... I enjoy sharing it and after all what fun is to have if no one ever sees it and as any of the few folks that have ever been here knows.... I could easily post a thousand things.

BTW I am surprised no one said anything about the cheap price...... I was in Maine and had a friend from southern France (he is a woodworker) with me the day I found this..... he was shocked that you could even find something so old and complete and at a price so cheap...... he thought if you ever saw something like that in France it would be about 300 €.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett---NO pics??? all I 'm getting is the boxes with a red cross inside. Maybe it's my slow dial up acting up??

Markus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great find and complete no less!

Pictures are working fine also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett,

Another very nice tool. I think I see that even the dies carry the 044 number on them.

Just for fun, I checked the 1895 Strelinger catalog (Lindsay reprint), assuming that if the set was popular, it would be listed. Although they show drawings of nine other types, there is only an oblique reference to this type. I quote:
    "Another, and quite a different type of screw plate is the Duplex, style of which is shown in Fig. 688, page 177, in conjunction with Pipe Threading Tools. This plate, however, is sold almost exclusively for threading pipe, there being but a limited demand for the Duplex plate with bolt dies."

Page 177 shows a pipe stock very similar to yours. The dies shown have the pin in them as do yours.

The catalog description is:

"The Duplex Pipe Stock is quite similar in construction to the old and well-known Jarecki Stock; is very easily adjusted, and by means of a spring gauge, can be instantly opened and removed from pipe, instead of turning back; and as readily set again."

My conclusions from all of this? First, I have too much time on my hands. Second,it would be interesting to determine what exactly the maker of your set changed to get a patent, and while I hope the maker put out a lot of these very nice looking tools, I doubt it.

Keep posting the nice tool pics.

Stu Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The design of this die head is very similar to Rigid tools die's for some of their power threaders , ie the 500 model, some 350's etc. These are used for threading conduit by Electricians and pipe by plumbers/gas fitters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stu.... yep... even the dies are marked and that is the pipe version in the Strelinger catalog..... but notice the one shown has a second set of levers... I think those are for the cut-off feature for pipe that mine does not have..... also it appears mine it the smallest size stock they made.... and it is over 2 feet long..... think how big the one for 4" pipe would be? Now the Strelinger catalog mentioned the "Jarecki"..... well I found it in another catalog..... it is awfully neat looking with levers, tee-handles, wing nuts and quadrants..... and with a name like that, no surprise it came from western Pennsylvania..... Erie that is.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just in case one of you want one of these I just noticed there is one on ebay........ cheap too....

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-tap-and-...QQcmdZViewItem

not mine and no connection.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rivett:

As DryCreek said, the workmanship is beautiful.

What is just as beautiful is the machinery and the nethods that the company used in making the tools in the set.

The parts are either forged or cast near-net and then nicely finished. Along with machine work there must have been a good bit of hand work involved.

If that wasn't enough, there was considerable brain work involved also. Milling the spirals was no joke, milling them in production quantities required a fancy set up, to say the least.

I'd say it was done on a profile mill with an indexing fixture.

To top it all off, those sets were not sold for a king's ransom, that's the real beauty - nice work sold at an affordable price.

12. Likes lathefan liked this post