What's new
What's new

And of course there is "repurposing." (Gak!)

Joe in NH

Diamond
00D0D_cw8pTp8Y0t1_600x450.jpg

Bucks Co. PA and $650 this deluxe Leland-Gifford mail box holder can be yours.

Of course here in New England we would consider this "snow plow bait." A gentleman around the corner from me has a "deluxe" mailbox support made from 16" square concrete flue blocks. I think he wanted it made "sturdy" so the snow plow wouldn't topple it over.

Er. Think again. He averages two direct hits a winter. It is easily replaceable.

I think he has spare blocks to replace those that are damaged or get frozen to the ground.

Joe in NH
Snowing as we write.

That (the repurposing of the sensitive drill that is) is wrong on so many counts...

At least the barbarians have protected it against corrosion with a layer of paint, so it can be rebuilt.

That (the repurposing of the sensitive drill that is) is wrong on so many counts...

At least the barbarians have protected it against corrosion with a layer of paint, so it can be rebuilt.

No problem, the wing plow will take that clean off......:D

Attachments

• HPIM0699.jpg
    HPIM0699.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 317
  • HPIM0700.jpg
    HPIM0700.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
During the apprenticeship that started 54 years ago, I lived in a little cracker box of a house out in the wilds of Coventry Connecticut. Taxes were 1200 bucks a year, and for paying that, I got free mail box destruction on a regular basis:D

During the apprenticeship that started 54 years ago, I lived in a little cracker box of a house out in the wilds of Coventry Connecticut. Taxes were 1200 bucks a year, and for paying that, I got free mail box destruction on a regular basis:D

Out in the country, in some areas not far away from here, it is common for the homeowners to erect sturdy little barriers a few feet from the near side of their mailboxes. I guess the barriers are cheaper to replace than the mailboxes.

Some people get really creative with their mailboxes. An old farmhouse with modern additions near here exploded a few days ago, killing the owner. I looked it up on Google to see what it looked like before it was levelled and found that it had a custom mailbox, shown below in screen shots.

Larry

DSC01756.jpg DSC01755.jpg

Out in the country, in some areas not far away from here, it is common for the homeowners to erect sturdy little barriers a few feet from the near side of their mailboxes. I guess the barriers are cheaper to replace than the mailboxes.

Some people get really creative with their mailboxes. An old farmhouse with modern additions near here exploded a few days ago, killing the owner. I looked it up on Google to see what it looked like before it was levelled and found that it had a custom mailbox, shown below in screen shots.

Larry

View attachment 242352 View attachment 242353

Here in my area, that mailbox would be on a single post that would let the box and "extension" spin when it get's hit. Our postal delivery folks will even reset the boxes if it's not to difficult and the sun is out.

Snowing here, 5-8" in the works...... plows will be out "hunting mailboxes" in the early morning.

Here one would get a note informing the postal client that the mailbox is "non-conforming" and that if not corrected in a week mail delivery will stop.

Like there is some sort of "lower receiver" rule for Post Office Mailboxes?

Joe in NH

W@hen I was a teen, one of my classmates had a mailbox sitting on a typical 4X4 post. The only odd feature was the 3/4" holes in both sides. He was into flintlock muskets and one day decided it would be cool to have a musket ball embedded in the post. The musket failed to fire, doing a slow burn. As he raised it, the gun decided to fire, modifying the box instead.

Bill

Maybe should start out with a 6"lolly column set 4' in the ground.

Tom

My 4" boiler tube set 4' in the ground lasted for 30 years until corrosion at the ground level undid what no snowplow could do. Still, score for the plow several boxes on top along the way.

I played it "mailbox intelligent" I think. I planted the mailbox about four feet upstream of a telephone pole - and directly in line. With reason. One is not allowed to attach anything to a telephone pole, of course.

That reason played out one night around graduation time when up the street I hear a resounding crash, a tee-hee, har-har, guffaw, and then screeching tires as the baseball bat wielding miscreants moved on to my mailbox.

I hear the crash of my box, immediately followed by a "thud" and then a car door opening and closing. Then the question "Are you all right?" in whispered tones. Then finally the car door again and screeching of tires.

The box downstream of mine was intact the next morning.

And nasty looking scrapes on the upstream side of the telephone pole.

Mission accomplished...Passive defense works.

I was fortunate to be an "earwitness."

And "don't interrupt your enemy when he is in the process of making a mistake" - Napoleon.

Joe in NH

I'm intrigued-don't the snow plough drivers take care to not mow people's mail boxes down?

How can I put this....:D
NO !

Rick and Snow Plows - YouTube

You'll note His "Giant Plow" isn't even a twin-screw....:toetap:

------------------------------------
See attached pix's taken by me.

Note how I have plowed the driveway, and went to the left (right for the UK)
up the road a ways, and provided a small "unloading" area.

So when the plow reaches my driveway, there is no snow to push
into the driveway.

Granted, the plow did drag over some snow this day.

You'll note it's a bright sunny day, and the road was clear.

He was "winging it back", in anticipation of more snowfall.

So the main blade was not filling the wing
with anything, much less volume coming off the wing.

Around here, from where a plow starts hitting snow, to where it starts piling off the end is about 10'. It get's dragged down the road this much.

Attachments

• GEDC0027.jpg
    GEDC0027.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 75
  • GEDC0026.jpg
    GEDC0026.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 77
  • GEDC0023.jpg
    GEDC0023.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 78
  • GEDC0025.jpg
    GEDC0025.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 82
I'm intrigued-don't the snow plough drivers take care to not mow people's mail boxes down?

In New Hampshire, town lays claim to "10feet from the edge of the finished road." This gives them leeway to put in things like street signs, telephone poles, drainage ditches, and other civic improvements. Of course if they widen the road (another civic improvement) then they get the 10' margin all over again - effectively encroaching on your property - and all done LEGAL.

So in effect, you're putting your mailbox on THEIR property.

Most plow-drivers of my acquaintance don't "aim" for the mailboxes - but they do have a public safety job. And attempt to do their job well. Mailboxes are their challenge, I suppose.

The only exception to the 10' rule in New Hampshire is a stone wall. Removal of stone walls is VERBOTEN going back to colonial times, and gives the owner a reason to fight a potential road widening.

Stone walls tend get "relocated" in the dead of night. "Progress" is like that sometimes.

Joe in NH

Back