What's new
What's new

Craftsman 12" Q/C gearbox dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippuller

Plastic
I have an Atlas Craftsman 12" x 36" lathe, Model 101.07403. When I got it, it did not have a Q/C gearbox, but I purchased one, years ago, and finally got to install it.
The installation seemed pretty straightforward and everything went together as expected. The only issue was that the key way on the lead screw was a very snug fit on the drive lug on the gearbox clutch. A little work with a pattern file and it slipped in. The problem I am having is that, after carefully setting the backlash on each of the gears in the gear train between the gear box and spindle, I ran the lathe without the half nuts engaged. after less then a minute I heard the the gear train noise start to change. After shutting it down, I found that the entire gear train was "tighter than a drum"... no backlash!?!? After countless times of resetting the backlash, I get the same results.... even after rotating the chuck by hand, just a few turns!
After checking everything I could think of, I finally discovered that if I dis-engaged the lead screw from the gear box, (separated the tailstock end bearing support and slid the lead screw out of the gear box) everything was fine. I also realized that, after the gear train 'binds up', if I just 'jiggle' the chuck (rotate it back and forth just a few degrees, the gear train frees up. Note; 1. With the original pick off gear train, everything is fine. 2.The gear box seems to be in decent condition and relatively quiet. (I did replace bushings in a couple of gears that had what I thought was excessive slop) 3. All the shafts in the gear box are tight. My only thought is that, if there was excessive slop somewhere in the gear train, gears are trying to "climb up" on each other. Does this sound like a possibility? Any suggestions as to what I might check/try would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chippuller

Try running the lead screw in reverse. I had a similar issue prior to getting my QCGB Atlas 10F with a “non QCGB” Atlas 10F and it turned out to be the nuts on the tailstock end of the lead screw tightening and binding the lead screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First suggestion: Read all of this, or at least skim through until you see the name of your lathe: Guidelines (please see new rule regarding Craigslist/Ebay/equiv posts)

Second: Maybe you are not leaving enough backlash between the gears.

Third: Maybe you need some oil somewhere.

Larry

Hey Larry..... are you “hollering” at him because he posted his ask in the wrong area? If so..... perhaps you might consider switching calming down and remember that this forum is supposed to be friendly..... and to be brutally honest, it really is NOT that important. Maybe you could just offer folks a little guidance rather than prescribing a read of the old testament. Or step aside as a moderator, as you seem to lack the temperament that I would expect such a position to command.

Larry is not yelling, he is merely pointing out that discussion of Atlas lathes is banned by the owner of PM. Don’s site, his rules.

L7

Hey Don..... if you are out there and monitoring these posts.... would you mind telling me when and why we started a “hate” campaign for Atlas lathes? I must have missed that little change.

Thanks Bob. He is quite clearly not happy with anything “Asian” or US made under the “Atlas” banner. Clearly he also doesn’t like bandsaws; there has to be a story there, lol. Well...... good to know!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back