What's new
What's new

Craigslist find - LeBlond Regal 15x30 Servo Shift

Patrick H

Aluminum
I have been watching for a more modern lathe with higher speed than my 1941 tie bar Hendey 12x54 for a few years now. A few weeks ago my casual daily Craigslist search turned up a LeBlond listed in the Books and Magazine section for $400. The ad only had one picture of the lathe from the rear. After speaking with the seller I decided to go take a look. The machine was in very good shape, has had one gear tooth repaired, and was only taken out of service because he stumbled on a good deal on a CNC machine. He was hurting for space and just needed it gone fast. He had already had his electrician rewire it from 460 to 230 V and it has a 5 hp motor so my RPC will run it. It came with a steady rest (not correct to lathe but works), an 8" L0 chuck adapter, and a trav-a-dial. Got it home, unloaded, hooked up to the RPC temporarily to test it. Everything works as it should, I only have to replace the belt to the high speed shaft and machine a 12" chuck adapter down to mount my new 10" 4 jaw I had bought for my Hendey but not yet installed. Sometimes procrastination is good!

The LeBlond has a little sentimental factor to me as well. My daughter was born in Cincinnati and spent the first 3 months of her life in the Childrens Hospital. During that time my wife and I were staying at the Ronald McDonald House there and would often go to the Don Pablo's restaurant for a little mental break. That restaurant is in the Power House of the old LeBlond factory. This lathe was built in 1967, so it would have been made in that factory.

Attachments

• Don Pablos.jpg
    Don Pablos.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4454.jpg
    IMG_4454.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 355
I have been watching for a more modern lathe with higher speed than my 1941 tie bar Hendey 12x54 for a few years now. A few weeks ago my casual daily Craigslist search turned up a LeBlond listed in the Books and Magazine section for $400. The ad only had one picture of the lathe from the rear. After speaking with the seller I decided to go take a look. The machine was in very good shape, has had one gear tooth repaired, and was only taken out of service because he stumbled on a good deal on a CNC machine. He was hurting for space and just needed it gone fast. He had already had his electrician rewire it from 460 to 230 V and it has a 5 hp motor so my RPC will run it. It came with a steady rest (not correct to lathe but works), an 8" L0 chuck adapter, and a trav-a-dial. Got it home, unloaded, hooked up to the RPC temporarily to test it. Everything works as it should, I only have to replace the belt to the high speed shaft and machine a 12" chuck adapter down to mount my new 10" 4 jaw I had bought for my Hendey but not yet installed. Sometimes procrastination is good!

The LeBlond has a little sentimental factor to me as well. My daughter was born in Cincinnati and spent the first 3 months of her life in the Childrens Hospital. During that time my wife and I were staying at the Ronald McDonald House there and would often go to the Don Pablo's restaurant for a little mental break. That restaurant is in the Power House of the old LeBlond factory. This lathe was built in 1967, so it would have been made in that factory.

You will love that servo shift! I hate running a lathe without it, although I guess I will have to get over it as I am going to pick up my new Lodge & Shiply Powerturn on Saturday.

Antique section? That lathe is a fair bit younger than I, it doesn't belong in the antique section!

Antique section? That lathe is a fair bit younger than I, it doesn't belong in the antique section!

True, I am stretching it a little bit. Since I didn't really have a question, and it is 10 years older then me, I thought I could squeak it in here. My Hendey is a 1941 and my G&E Shaper is and 1939 so I tend to spend more time reading in this section.

Sadly, now that I have this machine the Hendey will be going up for sale. I just don't have the room or the need for two lathes.

Back