What's new
What's new

Craigslist lathe leg dissolution in progress.

Joe in NH

Diamond
Similar to the Putnam lathe of a couple of weeks ago, this one is headed to lathe leg table land unless someone can step up to the plate and buy the lathe entire.

Entire seems to be available. He says he has the headstock and tailstock, and I imagine he has the rest of the pieces too.

Take a look. I'm trying to give this one a manufacturer and thinking this one is a Fox or their successors American Tool & Machine both of Boston, MA area - but the legs are not quite right, and neither Fox nor American seem to show a metal turning lathe in the "rise & fall" tradition.

Craigslist at Metal Lathe Legs - antiques - by owner - collectibles sale

Sampler pix below.

I really SHOULD stop looking at Craigslist.

Joe in NH

Attachments

• Red lathe.jpg
    Red lathe.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 521
  • red lathe 2.jpg
    red lathe 2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 281
Joe, thanks for posting. I sent him a message asking for pictures of the rest of the lathe. Looks like a nice little lathe, and fairly early. Jake

Similar to the Putnam lathe of a couple of weeks ago, this one is headed to lathe leg table land unless someone can step up to the plate and buy the lathe entire.

Entire seems to be available. He says he has the headstock and tailstock, and I imagine he has the rest of the pieces too.

Take a look. I'm trying to give this one a manufacturer and thinking this one is a Fox or their successors American Tool & Machine both of Boston, MA area - but the legs are not quite right, and neither Fox nor American seem to show a metal turning lathe in the "rise & fall" tradition.

Craigslist at Metal Lathe Legs - antiques - by owner - collectibles sale

Sampler pix below.

I really SHOULD stop looking at Craigslist.

Joe in NH

Joe

If you buy the legs and all the other parts, I'll take the bed. They make great fixture tables for motorbike frames. ;-)

Joe

If you buy the legs and all the other parts, I'll take the bed. They make great fixture tables for motorbike frames. ;-)

I'm not into this one as I have an actual 5' Putnam minus some parts (but recoverable) and the New (to me) 1866 Lathe & Morse Makers 6-1/2' still sitting under a tarp in my driveway - which is VERY recoverable.

I agree with Maltese on this though. A significant lathe possibly before 1870.

But at least in New England there seem to be MANY significant and early lathes out there - more lathes than custodians, I fear.

They all can't or won't survive.

Joe in NH

This one BACK on Craigslist. Similar listing to before, this one aimed more strongly at those who want a foundation for a steampunk table.

Metal Lathe - antiques - by owner - collectibles sale

01313_czZswyZMea0z_0lM0CI_600x450.jpg

Joe in NH

Joe, thanks for posting. I sent him a message asking for pictures of the rest of the lathe. Looks like a nice little lathe, and fairly early. Jake

I don't know if Jake ever received pictures of the lathe.
I see what looks like a makers tag on the headstock.
I can't quite make it out. It looks like it starts with an "H." and ends with "Conn.".
I am not interested in the lathe but I sent an email to the seller asking what the tag says.

Rob

I don't know if Jake ever received pictures of the lathe.
I see what looks like a makers tag on the headstock.
I can't quite make it out. It looks like it starts with an "H." and ends with "Conn.".
I am not interested in the lathe but I sent an email to the seller asking what the tag says.

Rob

Seller responded.
H.J. Burr
Bloomfield, Conn.

Rob

C'mon, man, as Joltin Joe would say. Is someone willing to pick this up and save it if some one will throw down $300.?

A friend of mine has a somewhat rare lathe that came without legs. He asked the original owner if maybe the legs were somewhere around and was told he'd sold them for $100 to use under a table. Later I also found the same model lathe with the legs and he asked me to sell mine! Heck no!
But I did take one leg off and took it to a foundry man who gave me a price to replicate new legs from the originals that my friend wouldn't choke down ($275). It's too bad there's no obvious way to notify people what a small tragedy they make for someone after selling the original legs off for a few bucks!

A friend of mine has a somewhat rare lathe that came without legs. He asked the original owner if maybe the legs were somewhere around and was told he'd sold them for $100 to use under a table. Later I also found the same model lathe with the legs and he asked me to sell mine! Heck no!
But I did take one leg off and took it to a foundry man who gave me a price to replicate new legs from the originals that my friend wouldn't choke down ($275). It's too bad there's no obvious way to notify people what a small tragedy they make for someone after selling the original legs off for a few bucks!

Were you going to cast them in iron or aluminum? Aluminum would be very easy, lighter, and much cheaper, with some creative paint work, you could achieve whatever patina desired...................win win all around.
But I know, it is a plunder society.

I had and have the bed and legs for a "vintage" lathe kicking around my shop, I bought it at an estate sale to keep it away from the leg bandits. That's all there was of the lathe.
I advertised it, bed is in fine shape. I got a call from a gent in NY that *really* wanted to buy it. Oh yes, he had such a lathe. Funny thing is he could not tell me the patent numbers that were on the bed. No sale.

rj1939 "Were you going to cast them in iron or aluminum?"

I'm not a fan of aluminum in machine tools, for one thing the lathe would be more top heavy that way, other than that I think the cost difference is mostly equipment as cast iron is cheaper by volume than aluminum I would guess. But I wish I'd gotten a price for it in 'loonyum.

Back