CRI-DAN -----------the enigma - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Resurrecting an old topic here, but I have just come across these posts after Googling for Cri-Dan information having only yesterday seen a Herbert Cri-Dan in operation in the (UK) West Midlands.

What a fascinating machine to watch ! This one (sorry no pics) is seemingly in pretty regular use producing taper plugs. The job it did for me was to produce an undersize BSPT plug - so not only producing the thread very quickly but a taper thread to boot! Full profile insert tool in use.

Very clever piece of kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you wanted,the machine could produce a taper and straight thread,running contiuous,or a taper and reverse taper,continuous,or a thread on a spherical surface....it can do inside threads of the same type at the same speed that end exactly where the machine is set.Within less than a thou,I d say.,maybe less........But setting the machine up is a battle ,unless you know what you re doing.....But a CNC machine can do all that,and a lot more,and a lot easier.......the old Cri-Dan is scrap,and joins the dust of history..........Incidentally ,Matchless Motorcycles bough half a dozen Type B s when they set up to make their own gearbox in 1954..

4. Likes HendeySwede liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well,my old Herbert Cridan Type B came within an ace of being scrapped last Thrsday......Im saving a lifetime of memories entombed in cast iron,and the Cri Dan was at the back of the 40ft container with the bigger stuff......the 40ft has a steel reinforced lift plate at the rear,..around the plate ,was rotten wood ,and the CriDan was partly fallen thru ,down into the dirt under the container .....lost cause I thought.......anyhoo ,hitched up the drag chain to the base ,started pulling with the crane .....the racket as the chain ratchetted across the top lintel of the container attracted a gaggle of council inspectors inspecting the fill,etc the new owner had placed.......but ,back to the container ....it started to lift at the front ,and the lintel bowed ,then as I kept winding ,the Cri Dan came up out of the hole like Moby Dick sounding,gunned the crane ,the machine slid the 40 ft along the plywood floor,and its hanging over the door ledge of the container .......simple now,resling ,lift free,and the Cri Dan is out in the daylight for the first time in 20 years........took it home ,lifted it off with a crane ......unfortunately ,I ripped all the rubber hoses from the hydraulic tank for the copy attachment.....which I had carefully prserved 20 years ago........musta had more patience in those days..........More than nostalgia,Im attracted by the 3000rpm top speed for deep hole drilling.

6. Likes Peter S, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive got the Sentinel manual,and for some reason the machine is quite different to the Herbert made one ......Anyhoo,I worked it out once before ,Im not so doddery yet that I cant do it again................The only tricky part is the hydraulic copy attachment on the back facing.....its sort of fully automatic,and a lot more complex than the average HIC saddle copy head.....Its HIC,which had some tie up with DSG,and if I need a manual it will be for that.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CRI -DAN is in my new shed ....with the add on hydraulic turning assy ,its a weighty little beast,over 2 tons for sure.....had a good look at it after the 20 year sleep in a leaky container ...looked a bit grim ,to begin with,but the design has the main gearbox as a sealed unit in the base of the machine,and the lid shown in JO s pics,is the spindle ,clutches and chain drive from below.....Bit of surface rust,horrible oily watery goo in the lower part.....which ran out of a hole when the machine tipped up on lifting.......the oil in the main box is a lovely antique brown ,no sign of any water ,not even when I scraped the bottom of the box,no sludge ,no metal frags......So far so good......As for the manual,50 quid is a bit much IMHO,and it only covers half my machine anyway,as the hydraulic copy setup is completely self contained.......Ive already been bamboozled once when the main clutch stuck,thought rust,but then after some fiddling there was a clunk,and the clutch suddenly released on a lever in the saddle .......turned the chuck (Herbert clear thru air chuck)....and the clutch is stuck on again.......Need to remember 20 years ago .......Havent even looked at the complex threading system in the saddle yet.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I bought the CRI DAN,it was one of two,and I got the one with the copy attachment,the other was more original ,and had the cams and changegears with it..........Both were passed in time and again,and eventually the auctioneers moved them outside .....I offered $100 on one,and they took it ...........then as luck would have it ,the other was put in a machinery auction.....and a dimwit thought it was a lathe,and allowd the auctioneers to run him to $1000 on it.........Anyhoo,about six months later,I see an advert in the Trading Post for a Herbert Cri Dan lathe ,so I had found it .....catch was he wanted his $1000 back.....And refused to sell any of the acessories for less......He wanted his money .full stop.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the Cri Dan enthusiast,Ive done a bit of research......First that Sentinel seem to have made their last machine in 1960,or thereabouts,and subsequently Alfred Herbert produced the Type Bs,at least, 1961-1974......Also that the Gisholt Cri Dan B is in fact a rebadged Herbert....Incidentally ,there is one for sale on fleabay for $4000 at the moment.(in Kali)...........As to books,the books for the B are available as downloads for approx $15 US ,so no need to spend more on a book than you spent on the machine.............I can also report that mine still goes,plugged it in over the weekend ,and demonstrated it to the wonder of the multitude....okay two lookers....Unfortunately ,the rubber bands were perished and broke .......the butterfly springs are available from the Herbert spares shop in UK ,but Ill be making my own ....or using new rubber bands.................Furthermore,I find that the hydraulic copy setup was an original accessory to the machine,supplied by Herberts.,as was the air tailstock and air chuck.

12. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit more research ,I found the Sentinel Manual I got for the machine,and its actually for the Type D.....the weirdo I got it off has changed the D to a B on the cover.....so I got diddled all round......Anyway,this answers the question....the Sentinel B is the same as the Herbert B.