What's new
What's new

Curious Slocomb Bore Gauges

wheels17

Stainless
Another Tool Thrift Shop curiosity. I have never seen what I think are bore gauges like these, and we had two different ones come in within two weeks. They are manufactured by J T Slocomb:

attachment.php

There is no spring action to the measuring rod, and the nut used to adjust the position has graduations but there is no index mark:

attachment.php

Only one has a makers mark:

attachment.php

The handles do turn and allow locking of the measuring rod, but if you are inserting them into a bore and turning the nut until you get the feel you need, why are there graduations on the nut? Or am I completely misunderstanding the use of this tool?

Those are Slocomb’s inside micrometers. They made them in the two sizes you have. They were fitted in cases like the little one or both in the same case. They bought the patent/design from some other company I think but can’t remember who.

I had to buy them. They aren't quite as convenient as conventional telescoping bore gauges. I tried them on a number of well known hole sizes, and they gave good results. Slow, but the point at which they would trip through the hole was very clear.

I can see them as very handy with a preset size for testing as you sneak up on a bore diameter.

But no index mark.....

Back