What's new
What's new

Current market for old machine shop books?

rivett608

Diamond
I’m sorting through some of my old stuff with thoughts of putting it on eBay. Have any of you followed the current prices of early 20th c. machine shop books? Are these selling at all these days? As individual titles or in lots?

Or should they just be offered on the PM? How? Fixed price? Best offer? Best reason why someone should have it? The reason I often think of eBay is it reflects a “real” value as in that is what the item sold for.

Some of what is in the first box... all clean and nice copies.

B & S Treatise on Milling, 1930 and 1940
B & S No. 10 Grinding machine, 1938
Hartness turret lathe, 1913
I.C.S., 4 volumes on machineshop, pattern making, foundry, etc., 1901, 1905, red leather half bound.
American Technical School, Machine Shop Practice, 5 volumes, 1902 -1917 copyrights.

Though you probably already know this... on eBay you can search for the item you are thinking of selling and once you get a few hits, look down on the left side of the page for "Show Only" and select "Sold". That will give you a list that looks something like this: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

One note on that... if the item is sold at auction and the price is fairly low I usually discount that. Some sellers will list something with a low starting point and poor description and don't care what it sells for. A Buy-It-Now sale price is usually pretty much what the market will pay.

One data point, i just (last week) bought a pristine copy of the 1913 first edition of Jigs & Fixtures by Colvin and Haas for $8.50 in an Ebay auction. I was the only bidder. Shipping was about $4.00.

I’m sorting through some of my old stuff with thoughts of putting it on eBay. Have any of you followed the current prices of early 20th c. machine shop books? Are these selling at all these days? As individual titles or in lots?

Or should they just be offered on the PM? How? Fixed price? Best offer? Best reason why someone should have it? The reason I often think of eBay is it reflects a “real” value as in that is what the item sold for.

Some of what is in the first box... all clean and nice copies.

B & S Treatise on Milling, 1930 and 1940
B & S No. 10 Grinding machine, 1938
Hartness turret lathe, 1913
I.C.S., 4 volumes on machineshop, pattern making, foundry, etc., 1901, 1905, red leather half bound.
American Technical School, Machine Shop Practice, 5 volumes, 1902 -1917 copyrights.

Tried sending you a PM but in box is full. Like many others (I suspect) on the board i would likely be interested in some of your titles should you decide to sell them

Good luck
Mark

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want the most money, one could argue EBay would be a good choice (one could argue PM too). If it’s of more value that it goes to a machinist who genuinely cares for the books and read them, then PM is a good way to go.
Put up a post in the Parts for Sale section with a price. Others have sold books in that section and done ok. If the price is too high, people won’t buy it and then drop the price. However, I wouldn’t expect more than 5-10 bucks per book because that is the price for them at bookstores. I own a couple of the volumes you listed (but not the whole set) and that is what I paid for them — retail price at a brick-and-mortar store.

No idea about the market value but I'm always looking to add to my library and am interested in your collection. I enjoy learning the lessons of masters before me the easy way. I don't think I've ever purchased an "antique" book and not learned something new.

Another way to find the value of a book is to do a search for that book on Alibris ot AbeBooks. Both are websites that list books for sale by booksellers from all over the world.
Prices will range from ridiculously cheap to you've-got-to-be-kidding-me expensive. However,it will give you an idea of what actual booksellers are asking for their books, and you can price yours accordingly.
Rick W

Bookfinder.com aggregates all the book sales sites in one place.

IME with old machining books, which exist in great variety and low demand, there may be only one copy listed and at a ridiculous price. I'm not sure what the logic in this is, but one is not a reliable sample size.

I have been using bookfinder for years to locate long out of print historical works I need for my research. Generally, I find it very useful. That said, prices can be all over the place. Frequently (more than half the time) I'm able to find original editions of a rare book for less than the cheap "print on demand" reprint. I've looked up books that I know are still in print (because I work with the publisher) and found them used for twice the price of a new copy that is still readily available. I've often found books that were offered on ebay for half the "buy it now" price. The used book business is very unpredictable but generally the "you've got to be kidding" prices are a product of ignorance and/or wishfull thinking.

My son is starting to get into watches and wants to make one. I gave his an older book I had gotten that describes the process and tools and how to use them. I forget the title - but it not important. Anyways he has been reading it and asked me what i think the book is worth. I told him: "It's either worth next to nothing, or over $100, but nothing in-between!". I think that sums it up for the older books I have seen. He did look it up and found a few copies on the sites mentioned above with sellers asking $120 and higher!

I have been using bookfinder for years to locate long out of print historical works I need for my research. Generally, I find it very useful. That said, prices can be all over the place. Frequently (more than half the time) I'm able to find original editions of a rare book for less than the cheap "print on demand" reprint. I've looked up books that I know are still in print (because I work with the publisher) and found them used for twice the price of a new copy that is still readily available. I've often found books that were offered on ebay for half the "buy it now" price. The used book business is very unpredictable but generally the "you've got to be kidding" prices are a product of ignorance and/or wishfull thinking.

Glad to hear this lot found a new home the best of all possible ways. One warm and living human hand to another, directly.

Damned if it doesn't seem there is a spark of life as conveys with the books when I shed a carton now and then to a fellow reader rather than a library or used book trafficer.

"Unpredictable" business for-sure. Kid brother, already a published poet, tried his hand as a rare book dealer whilst Day Job was Depute Law Librarian, "merica's then-largest Law firm. Good eye for inventory, professional descriptions or no, it wasn't his best-ever idea forty-five or so years ago. Doesn't fly even as well, now.

More along "up until" around 20-odd years ago, I'd make an annual or semi-annual pilgrimage to my favorite bookseller, foot of Covent Garden, have a few cases of books shipped back to the USA, as they did that all the time, cheaply and well.

No longer.

Google and a ton of others have been scanning and digitizing like mad. Selectivity of search functions beats the time easily a thousand to one vs dead-tree sources if not a full million to one.

If I want to still enjoy the life-long preference for a book I can actually HOLD - "for real" not on some tabletish thingie?

May as well be a mystery novel, historical dramatization, the travels of ages long gone - or the travails of a mildly demented lad managing to survive the DAMNDEST of adventures with old motor cars, but you'd know all about that one, thanks, t'was a good read!

:)

Present day? Damned seldom a reference work. Internet search and display is just better and faster.

Modern lives have gone too busy to spare an hour for a mystery or the several hours wanted for groking a technical"ish" tome on milling or the like. Any sort of hand at it knows full-well you can't memorize those the same way as to simply remember history or fiction. They include maths and numerical klews that have to be confirmed, present-day tooling and alloys when yah actually go to put tool-tips to war with metal.

May as well remind me how to plow 'taters with a horse, given I'm old enought to have already done it, and was young enough at the time I had to learn the potatos were the ones not all warm, soft, and smelling rather too pungently of horse gut.

"Information age" thing? Seems so. Damned shame in a way, but there yah have it.

We - so far, until "they" burn anything useful, people included - have far the better access to information that ever was before.

Insane overload of outright GARBIDGE aimed at our screens too, but we just have to learn to seive better - and are still well-ahead of the old ways.

Pardon my whimpering out loud about "days gone by". but wot the Hell. Easily a thousand times more good books than interesting wimmin', no shortage of either, ever..

And I can only hope God in her infinite mercy never puts me to the question as to which one I would do without, ever I had to do life's journey all over again.

Tough enough choice I'd have to decline the offer, queue-up for the next express bus to Hell, hope the Devil had sumthin' on his shelves I hadn't yet read.

I have a book habit.

<sigh>

In addition to that, a friend of mine, who passed away some years back, now, asked me to take care of his library. His request was specifically, that they end up NOT being sent for recycling. Seems fair to me.

Back