What's new
What's new

CXA Tool Holder Storage

Froneck

Titanium
I have 4 lathes that are equipped with Aloris CXA tool post and therefore a lot of tool holders of different styles, (over 30) Soon it became a problem to store them so when needed they could be found. One day when looking for my one type holder that has the slot for the tool about 30 degrees more than the standard (still haven't found it) I decided to make a storage rack. I noticed the holders hang well on 2"X2"X 1/8" angle iron. Being vertical the tools don't touch plus those that have long boring bars don't change the spacing. I then made 2 posts from 1-1/2"OD X 8" rod drilled and taped both ends. One side is attached to a storage plate attached to the top of my Hendey lathe. I mounted the 2" angle on the top of the posts. Later I added a second piece of angle to increase the storage space. So that vibration don't cause them to fall off the end I cut the 2" angle irons 1" longer (1/2" on each end) I then trimmed the 1/2" except for a 1/2" wide tab on the edge the tool holders will be on the bent it 90 degrees. Been on the lathe for quite a while and works great holding about 16 tool holders. Works so well I purchased more 2" angle iron to make the holder for my other lathes so that eventually all my holders will be hanging on them. In addition I had a short piece enough for 3 holders that I mounted on the chip pan and use it for the few I'm using at the time. Let me know if anyone is interested in photos, I'll make a few and post them

I whipped this up at work a couple weeks ago. I did have to consider spacing to make room for boring bars, but I’m quite happy with the result overall.
3eb3731e9ad15d6d2879854dce5e4286.jpg

The lathe at work has a KDK tool post and holders.
In my home shop I use the Aloris/Dorian style tool holders and came up with this solution to keep my commonly used holders accessible and uncluttered. I really hate the pile of tool holders loose on the head stock.
ee7269d9153158d9a58f0cf935e1252e.jpg

Jeremy

Here's the photos, 15 CXA tool holders attached. Removed some to show a better view of the angle irons, end view to show the stops and one top view of the short piece I put on the chip pan. For CXA size holders a minimum of 2" leg on the hanging side. 1/8" thick is best as it fits in the dovetail better. I'm making another for the CA holders but 2" will not work and wider angle iron is thicker so I had a 3" X 3" X 2" U channel bent from 1/8" plate.

CIMG1949.jpgCIMG1950.jpgCIMG1951.jpgCIMG1952.jpg

More Info.

I see quite a few like this post. Keep in mind that 2" angle was used by me to supply a "leg" to mount the holder using 1-1/2" rod. If mounting to a wall or flat surface, 2" X 1/8" flat bar attached to the surface with flat head screws and spacers. Also as you might see in the photos the holders can be suspended on either Dove Tail side.

Nice work! I did plan to make one like yours, purchase a piece of 5" OD tube X 3'. But being very busy and some what lazy I opted for a quick and easier way. Also room is quite limited in my shop so I made the holder to fit on top of the Hendey Head Stock.

Back