What's new
What's new

D. E. Whiton Centering Machine

enginebill

Stainless
I got a Whiton centering machine recently similar to Irby's and Rob's. It looks to be in good shape except where someone cut holes in the base to run a belt from underneath. I also found this article with some poor pictures.

Google Books

I bought the machine from the estate of Gary Murdoch in CA but I don't know where he got it from.

Attachments

• IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3998.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3999.jpg
    IMG_3999.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 127
I ran across one at an antique store in Rhode Island a year ago but passed on it. Pretty cool machine though.

Nice that yours has the bench and legs, Bill. :) Great score! Mine was just the centering unit and Rob's photos are gone and I don't remember exactly, but I think his was just the centering unit also. Mine is down in Texas now with the Whiton gear cutter I used to have. I bet one day it'll be running off a line shaft beside that cutter.

Irby

Cool!

An old Whiton gear cutter is on my list of machines to find someday. I've reason to believe we had one in the shop a long time ago but it was likely run into the ground and scrapped.

Irby,
Yes, I still have the gear cutter.
I have not found the time to clean it up and make it work yet, but I still have the illusions that I will finish all my projects. Someday.
Mike

Back