What's new
What's new

Daimler-Continental small aircraft diesel

There used to be a book in the local library that I would read through from time to time. Titled something on the order of "History of Diesel Engines for Aviation". (not even close, but something on that order)

That was thirty years ago. I wonder if the book is still there.

Imagine, a compression ignition radial. ;-)

There used to be a book in the local library that I would read through from time to time. Titled something on the order of "History of Diesel Engines for Aviation". (not even close, but something on that order)

Imagine not....Packard made some...

I believe the book you're thinking of is.

Aircraft Diesel Engines.

It was published about 1940

IIRC Detroit Deisel made some of there engines (a 3-53 I think) in an
"Aluminum Block" version.
Seeing how the 53 series liked to run right around 2500 rpm, and the 2 stroke being a bit lighter than a comparable 4 stroke engine, I always wondered why no one has tried....:eek:

....ya, I know, the windshield would get oil all over it in no time....:D

Since we're on this topic - Cessna has apparently just gotten the venerable 172 certified with a diesel (maybe the one in the 2014 video linked above, maybe a later one.)
https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Turbo-Skyhawk-JT-A-Certified-229108-1.html

What is striking in that release (don't know about reality) is that they're quoting 155HP (about 25 less than the latest gasoline Skyhawks) but shorter takeoff/landing rolls and faster cruise (what they're quoting is a LOT faster than a 172SP will actually go...)

How much of that is airframe changes, how much a different engine/torque/prop tuning, etc. is unclear. (The product has been rumored for some time.) Also, so far diesel/jet-A GA airplanes are big hit outside the US (no 100av gas) but not so much inside the US (where we have 100av gas most places.)

If you hunt around you can find articles videos of the new Continental (also Titan) factory, which has apparently pretty much caught up to the German one shown here. Apparently Lycoming is going through a similar process.

Kind of disconcerting, but it is probably a good thing that Continental is owned by the Chinese government. (Since 2010)
Low volume piston engine development is not a sexy investment vehicle and Continental motors was essentially bankrupt.

In the past 30 years or so, Lycoming and Continental most likely survived more on OEM parts supply and the factory overhaul business, than on actual volume of new engines. Both had government contracts. Continental's first diesel (opposed, aircooled) was a (US) government co-project.

Wonder if the legacy parts will stay in Georgia. Or will we have to depend on the aftermarket?

smt

"Wonder if the legacy parts will stay in Georgia. Or will we have to depend on the aftermarket?"

Last I heard Mobile was in Alabama.
Roll Tide!!!!!

Back