What's new
What's new

Dalton lathe model question

Jasperman

Plastic
Hi very new at posting just joined today. My brother and I are the proud owners of a Dalton lathe maybe six maybe not six. We're in the process of cleaning to restore it and on the front it has "DALTON raised in the casting and a SIX" that had been ground off flat that only showed after soda blasting the front prepping for paint. This lathe came with lots of parts, 3 chucks, things I have no idea what they do. Things I think I might know, maybe.... great fun. I live in Orygun and I know the most knowledgeable man about them is close by but I have no idea how to contact him. Been in contact with UK TONY. I know this is a Dalton 8 and a half" swing, 36 inch total length. Belt drive. 1922 last patent date on tag on gear end. No model on gear end. Serial stamped 7090 on the other end. I am unsure here how to add pictures. Realized just now I can't do pics from my phone. I'm away from home till Monday next and I will get pictures on then. Thanks

Last edited:
Pictures would be your best bet for an ID on this lathe. There are a fair number of Daltons out there as the small size has given them "survivability."

The first post of a thread is made "picture impossible." This apparently in response to spam/advertisers who may want to take advantage?

Still, once the original post is made for a short while afterwards (maybe a day) you can "edit" your original post and attach a pix.

Its possible to do this using the forum software - actually preferred as the pix is "uploaded" and will never go anywhere else - an advantage years from now for users searching for example/discussion of Dalton.

Your second post to a thread you will find you can attach a picture normally as you create the entry under "advanced."

OR - you can use a photo hosting service (photobuddy, snapfish, etc.) and put your photos there. For each picture there you can find an online URL which IS that pix. You can use the script to add this picture to a reply using edit and adding the line

{img}your pix url.com here{/img}

Substitute brackets [] for the {} I have shown above.

The downside of this method is it relies on outside reference - and if your photo hosting service or your pictures disappear (and I can personally verify they are wont to) then all you see on the thread is a box with an "X" in it.

But it is easier to use - at least for me.

Good luck. If you're like the rest of us a large portion of your appreciation of antique machinery is in seeing pictures.

Joe in NH

Thanks Joe. I will be home Monday. I read earlier an post about what shows up best and all the best angles to shoot from. I have only found one picture on the Web that matches ours. Ours has an extra rod running the length of it below the drive rod. It seems to be a way to stop the automatic feed by kicking it out of gear. I don't know all the terminology yet and the pictures will definitely help. The Tony.U.K. Dalton site said most like this one were used up in second world War. Makes sense. Again thanks for info on pics. Michael

lot 4's also have "Dalton 6" on the change gear cover, confusing I know.

It's at the front of the cover, a small brass rectangular tag, below it is another larger brass tag that starts with "Hubert Dalton" blah blah blah, all same same as on the Dalton lot 6.

The lot 6 has a nobby knob for gear change on the front of the apron, it lets you engage or disengage power feed from the second unthreaded rod, whereas the lot 4 has only the threaded lead screw.

New pictures to help identify a dalton lathe

Hi, Michael again still having trouble getting pictures on. This Dalton lathe just has Dalton on the gear cover. It has on the front the nobby gear as well as the automatic feed. Two rods on the front. Also on that front of the body there are raised letters in the casting that say: "DALTON SIX" Someone along the way has ground the SIX" off flat with the body as if it was in the way of something. curious bit there. going to try pics again. Michael

Prime Photos

Last edited:
That grinding the "six" off seems strange. Sounds like you have a lot 6.
Have you talked with Dennis? Are you a member of the Dalton group? Are you possibly the guy who was at Dennis's that day when my brother and I picked up his Dalton TL lathe?

OK< I looked at the photos, it does look to my uneducated eyes to be a lot 6, though the gear knob is different from what I'm used to seeing.
What is the spindle thread? lot 6 should be 1 1/2-8

Yes, definitely contact Dennis Turk in Oregon. He moderates and founded "The Dalton Gang", the definitive Dalton Lathe group on Yahoo Groups. Dennis can tell you they built them in 'Lots', each lot was sort of a similar model, with the same set of castings and features. When Dalton changed the design slightly, they updated the lot number. He can also probably tell you a bit about your serial number, maby whom originally purchased it.

As FYI - "Dalton six" is the model of the lathe. Dalton six was advertised as being able to accomplish six different metal turning operations with its attachments - hence it is a 'Dalton Six'. Most of the Dalton lathes that went to Europe were used in WWI actually - not WWII. The company went out of business during the economic crash in the late 1920's leading up to the Great Depression. I heard a figure of maybe 15000 lathes being sent to the Allies during WWI. Dalton also maintained a dealer network, and sold Daltons throughout the PNW throughout the late '20's.

I just finished restoring mine. They are great little lathes and can do a surprising amount of work even today. Congrats on owning one!

Regards
Glenn in Woodinville

Morning Yes that's what size the spindle thread is. It is a great project for my recently retired brother and I to clean up and get it working.

Thanks for all the info and help from all of you. Glen is my next contact. I need to know what size electric motor and what it's R.P.M's should be. Also he may have an idea why the SIX" was ground off. I will post pictures of it as we start to reassemble it. Thanks again
Michael in Jasper Orygun

Morning I'm in the middle of fixing some frozen pipes outside, sorry about not getting back sooner. Another Lovely Northwest day. Our Dalton Is an 8&1/4" swing Maybe 8&1/2". It has an entire length of about 38" I came across this from a fellow who acquired from someone in collection of a debt. He never had it running. I will get it running here soon I hope. I am totally fascinated by this machine. My wife thinks It'[s so much better than goofing with the old internationals of every size and type. Happy holidays

Jasperman, I hope you don't mind, I sent photos to Dennis Turk, the authority on Dalton lathes, and he said this;
"Lathe looks to be very original and in not to bad of shape. Need to find out where the guy is as I have an extra gear bracket but no top casting."

Hi, I don't mind at all, in fact your help is greatly appreciated. I live east of Springfield Oregon about 8 miles. I believe we're not more than a couple hours away from each other. I'm in the process of getting more pictures to post. thanks for your help

Jasperman, can you take a photo of the front of the bed with the carriage cranked to one side so the ground off "Six" will show, I mean assuming there is enough there to see the remnant showing through? Dennis said it is a lot 6 though, but mine has "Dalton Six" cast on the front of the bed.

Sherlock Holmes and The case of the missing "SIX" .

Sorry about the long absence in getting back with pictures. I've had to gather all the kings men, or "women in my case" to help get the pictures onto this forum. Tis a far far better thing I do now to ask for help and :directions: from my better half betsy, than struggle with a computer's perfect logic.
My brother and I have bench raced this ground off "SIX" on this machine and come up with our theory of the Dalton evolution of this piece. It has serial no. 7090 very lathe in the manufacture of Hubert's lathes that it possibly might be just a gathering of parts that were put together to help clean the warehouse. It Has nothing on the gear end guard other than the word DALTON. No b- this or that. It seems to be a Frankensteinian collection of wonderful parts that make it spin and automatically feed. Most interesting. Hope the pictures come through. I am asked to explain the term "bench race" a lot. Bench racing is when you talk about the work you want to do to a car that you race in the brackets super street or pro stock whatever. Bench racing is jumping up and planting your butt on your work bench and talking about what the next step in building or the unbuilding of a machine or motor is going to entail. hope the pics come through. Prime Photos

Jasperman, Dennis said this about your lathe;

"Serial number 7090 is the newest one we have seen. Mine is 7014 and there is one that is 7035 that was the newest we had seen up to this one. I don’t necessarily agree with it being a bunch of leftover parts. WE have two 10 ½ inch lathes that do fit that description but not a Lot 6 as it had been in production since 1915. Why the Six has been ground or chiseled off is a mystery that will never be solved Glen. The six indicates the number of speeds the lathe will produce with standard countershaft setups. I see nothing in this lathe that would indicate it was a Hodge podge of parts assembled for revenue."

He's 'da man!

Help with my electric motor sizing on our Dalton Lathe

Morning folks. Thanks for all the great info. We will post finished pictures maybe late this week. Can anyone tell me what size and speed of electric motor would be the best. I have a half dozen motors in my barn both 1700+ and 3400+ rpms. Can't remember exact speeds . Happy new year coming.
Thanks Michael

Back