What's new
What's new

Dalton Metal Lathe

DonTen

Plastic
I am new to this place. I have been looking around here for some time. I always wanted a lathe and I think I finally got a deal. I picked up this Dalton 7" with a box of tools for $400. I fix antique fans and sometimes I need bearings for the motors and I want to make my own. What gears can be used with it? Any info on this Dalton would be great. CIMG1016.jpgCIMG1017.jpgCIMG1019.jpgCIMG1020.jpgCIMG1029.jpg

A few years ago I helped sell a Dalton lathe from an estate- they got $500. Was a similar machine to yours, in similar condition, so I think you did pretty well. A group of owners, "The Dalton Gang", was operating back then- A few members know quite a bit about the machines, production dates & related details, perhaps where parts can be had and so on, I'm sure google can find them.

Regards,

Greg

Did you get the counter shaft assembly with it?
The device in the tail stock was used to hold electric motor armatures.

Good spot there. The "Dalton Six" was I guess, older. It was actually a seven. The spindle thread is small enough that it will take a threaded sleeve for more common plates of 1 1/2" X 8 tpi.
I've had owned a Dalton Six for a long time. It is sturdy enough for machining arbors and stuff.

I have a lot 4. I have completely rebuilt it. I have a thread on it on owwm with some great photos.
I also use 1 1/2 8TPI threaded sleeve to run a standard chuck. I also have collets. It uses 3AT Atlas collets. I have machined all kinds of parts for a Hendey LAthe and a lot of m other machinery. Its a small parts lathe, but it does the job. 1 (4).jpg

Dalton Six or Seven

I have a lot 4. I have completely rebuilt it. I have a thread on it on owwm with some great photos.
I also use 1 1/2 8TPI threaded sleeve to run a standard chuck. I also have collets. It uses 3AT Atlas collets. I have machined all kinds of parts for a Hendey LAthe and a lot of m other machinery. Its a small parts lathe, but it does the job. View attachment 289939

Thanks. Yes, Lot 4 The gear cover is the same. The broad V ways for a lathe this size, is why they are still around for discussion.

Don. It is a good machine but the dials could be a bit larger these days. :D. It isn't a high speed lathe. We need to know about lubrication at these venerable bearings. I went over to the UK site just like you. Trying to confirm a few things. My Dalton Six is closer to the early Lot 5. I mention how tough it is but that's because the bed was deeper. It was direct mount to the cast legs without stringers.

I know there was a lot 3, and a lot 4 and lot 6, I have both of the last two. The general name for Dalton engine lathes was "Dalton Six" as shown on the small brass plaque on the front of the gear door, both my 4 and 6 have that so it hasn't anything to do with the size, I think the "Six" refers to the speeds.
Most or all of the gears can be purchased from Dodge, but the largest one should have spokes to look authentic, if that matters to you. I may have an extra one.

I also use 1 1/2 8TPI threaded sleeve to run a standard chuck. I also have collets. It uses 3AT Atlas collets. I have machined all kinds of parts for a Hendey LAthe and a lot of m other machinery. Its a small parts lathe, but it does the job. View attachment 289939

That is just the cutest little thing. I have no love for the Swiss watchmaker lathes but I'd be lying if I said that doesn't tug at the heart strings a bit.

Those little Aloris style toolholders are pretty effective, I have a cheapie import "0XA" sized post on my turret lathe. I've not needed a toolholder swap yet but the reach and position of the toolholder has helped a couple times with setups. Just saw Aloris has a small toolpost system like this which is nice because the cheapie import is about as one might expect. I never noticed that since I tend to use Dorian on the bigger lathe.

Those little Aloris style toolholders are pretty effective, I have a cheapie import "0XA" sized post on my turret lathe. I've not needed a toolholder swap yet but the reach and position of the toolholder has helped a couple times with setups. Just saw Aloris has a small toolpost system like this which is nice because the cheapie import is about as one might expect. I never noticed that since I tend to use Dorian on the bigger lathe.

It is about the axis. These Daltons had short height to their compounds and cross slides. I think they were more steel than iron. Broad V ways but there is a balance to the saddle and things when attaching a QCTP. Whatever works for you is fine but the old lantern and associated tooling was used during the wear. Wear near 100 years and between bloody wars.
I can't hurt it further.

My one Dalton Six has done the work as Don10 said. The castings and covers were painted blue.

+1 on the lantern, I have a full set on my ATW- left, right, straight, parting, knurling, boring bar- I've used them all from time to time. On my old lathe I often supported tools in the lantern using a series of discs with holes thru of the same diameter of the toolpost, just stack them down around the lantern until the tool rested at about the right height. It was massively stiff and held the tools horizontally, if you got the cutter projection right then swapping tools was made a lot faster.

This is almost the same. Man, I would make different depth rocker rings. I forget the names. Oh yes, stacking washers which were actually parts of bearings. The axis being directly in the center of the compound. It was a long time ago, maybe 30 years but that is nothing. These dependable lathes help fix larger machinery. Right old but don't we admire from afar.. the people who built them.

Back