What's new
What's new

Dating Do-All Bandsaw from photos (without serial#)

Moto-Mucci

Plastic
Greetings,

I was hoping you all could help me put a model number and general year range to the Do-All Metalmaster bandsaw in these photos. Unfortunately there's no photos of the serial number plate and there's no one on-site to help.

Thanks,
Dave

w=800&auto=format&q=75 (2).jpg

w=800&auto=format&q=75.jpg

w=800&auto=format&q=75 (7).jpg

w=800&auto=format&q=75 (5).jpg

w=800&auto=format&q=75 (4).jpg

I think with today's social distancing all dating has to be done from photos. I'm a little out of the game right now, but I guess you'd send the Do-All some photos back along with some nice comments?? If things go well you might ask for some bigger pictures and maybe some action shots. Best of luck, she looks like a winner.

Does not look like a winner to me. I don't see any of the variable speed mechanism, if there ever was one. Might be a band file. We don't even get a photo of the front of the machine? No hydraulic table, no variable speed. The most stripped DoAll possible. I'd be social distancing big time from that particular machine.

Indeed odd that there’s no picture of the front of the machine. Would guess this is a 1940s vintage 26” throat. The early version of the Reeves variable drive is there but I don’t see a gear box. I’ve seen lots of DoAlls, but few that old. Did the old ones normally have a two or three speed gear box?

Agree with others to get a much newer better condition saw. And look at in person. Especially with my experience of the local store trying to sell me an older 16” saw as a good runner but refused to plug it in. One look inside showed a broken trunion. Few weeks later saw a new DoAll in the university Physics lab...

Lucky7

Older vari pulley assy is Bakelite (often falling apart), more modern is cast iron

Any DoAll limited to 1000 FPM (your photo) is very old. As of the '43 DoAll Contour Saws, the V36 went to 1500 - that appears to be what you have - a version of the V36

Have a gear box? (2 speed is round, three speed is not round)

Here is a round from 80 years back

Attachments

• DCP_0716.jpg
    DCP_0716.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 75
lucky7;3526951 early version of the Reeves variable drive is there but I don’t see a gear box. . Lucky7[/QUOTE said:
The rear v-belt goes up to the gear box.

Might be missing the idler pulley for the RPM dial on the side of the saw.
Saw guides that are flat and correctly adjusted will make this saw work like a brand new one
if everything else works as it should.

DoAll Drive.jpg
John

First post wouldn’t let me add more than 5 photos but here are the other two I have.

Curious what you guys would pay for this / what you think it’s worth.

Attachments

• 36FDDE54-0C50-4D77-91EA-9EC22A0537E7.jpg
    36FDDE54-0C50-4D77-91EA-9EC22A0537E7.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 2877936B-B0DA-4E38-9CAE-90AE14E1F8CA.jpg
    2877936B-B0DA-4E38-9CAE-90AE14E1F8CA.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 70
Older vari pulley assy is Bakelite (often falling apart), more modern is cast iron

Any DoAll limited to 1000 FPM (your photo) is very old. As of the '43 DoAll Contour Saws, the V36 went to 1500 - that appears to be what you have - a version of the V36

Have a gear box? (2 speed is round, three speed is not round)

Here is a round from 80 years back

I think John is spot on!

Here’s a manual that might help without knowing the serial number?

https://www.doallsaws.com/manuals/V-36 363901 to 36535628 Parts Manual.pdf

Also, in the third picture you can see the weight for the power feed attachment....

Kevin

if the gear box is bad if isnt worth anything. i’m looking for a gearbox for one for a saw. everything is perfect and restored on the saw but the gearbox was junk (found out after everything was restored). now it’s just a useless chunk of steel sitting in the corner.

if the gear box is bad if isnt worth anything. i’m looking for a gearbox for one for a saw. everything is perfect and restored on the saw but the gearbox was junk (found out after everything was restored). now it’s just a useless chunk of steel sitting in the corner.

What’s wrong with the gearbox, I’ve repaired a couple of these?

Kevin

Well, I just won the auction for a whopping $355 so I guess I'll be figuring it out as I go.
I love repairing old machinery so either way it'll be a fun project. Bringing her home Tuesday. Will report back.

I disagree that the saw without a gearbox is junk.

Of course, it depends on how easy it is to find good metal-cutting bandsaws in your area. In mine- deep in Left Armpit, Alaska- a saw like a DoAll or a Startrite or even a Wells horizontal, are few and far between. Point in fact, I bought the one and only DoAll I've ever seen come up for sale, and one of the only two Wells horizontals I've so much as seen in the State.

If I found a DoAll with an unrepairable gearbox, I'd gut it and mod it to carry the shaft straight through. Then fit it with whatever pulleys would be needed to run it in the fixed range you want- high for aluminum, low for steel, etc.

Hell, a set of cheap cone pulleys would give you a usable range. For me, 19 times out of 20 I'm cutting aluminum anyway, so I could gear it for that and leave it.

Doc.

Well, I just won the auction for a whopping $355 so I guess I'll be figuring it out as I go.
I love repairing old machinery so either way it'll be a fun project. Bringing her home Tuesday. Will report back.

The plus and minus business is a unique way of letting you know you have the two speed gear box (Post #8 photo)

Note this is something not flipped back and forth with motor running

Back