What's new
What's new

DEAR ENGINEERS! NEED HELP WITH ID. ANTIQUE STEAM or GASOLINE TOY ENGINE MODEL?

Romak

Aluminum
Dear engineers!

I have this interesting model of a steam or gasoline engine. Not sure what this exactly is. Could you please help me with identification of this piece.

Thank you so much!!!

Regards, Roma.

Unusual.jpg

Well, first of all, I can tell you that it's a modified horizontal air compressor. I know because I used to have one and had the same idea for an engine. It's more than just a toy though, as it can produce useful power......just not very much.

Go here: Antique Engines and Old Iron Tractors on SmokStak

This is the largest antique engine forum that I know of. There are various sections pertaining to model engines, conversions, etc. and the folks there can evaluate it and probably give you an idea of its value if you're curious. Best of luck!

Thank you!

It is only about 12 inches long. Air compressor? Wow! I thought compressors are bigger in size, but I might be wrong. What if it is more likely a gasoline or kerosene engine? I am just judging from the vessel on the right, but it might have just water for cooling. Hard to say :) Thank you also for the link to Smokstak. Very appreciated!!!

If the tubes in the tank go to the input of the engine, then that tank is a boiler and there would have been a container with fire under it.

Steve

Good point, but it is not a boiler for sure. The boiler is a sealed piece. This one you are right, just a tank.

I just looked at the "tank".......appears to have a tube running to what looks like a "mixer" (primitive carburetor) near the head, so I would guess a fuel tank. No need for a water tank as the fins are designed to air cool it. Can't really tell about the ignition. Could be a hot tube, contact ignitor (doubtful) or a small spark plug.

My take.....the tank is in fact a cooling water hopper,or would be on a prototype......also typically these model engines ran on coal gas from the mains which was 50% hydrogen,50% carbon monoxide,and easily ignitable with hot wire plug......nowdays with greenies an all that ,there is no coalgas,the replacement from the mains being methane ,which is highly stable ,and wont work these small engines.

My take.....the tank is in fact a cooling water hopper,or would be on a prototype......also typically these model engines ran on coal gas from the mains which was 50% hydrogen,50% carbon monoxide,and easily ignitable with hot wire plug......nowdays with greenies an all that ,there is no coalgas,the replacement from the mains being methane ,which is highly stable ,and wont work these small engines.

How can the tank be used for cooling? The engine does NOT have a water hopper of any sort......just fins for air cooling. Trust me, I've seen a lot of antique engines and models over the years and this is not the first such conversion I've seen.

In Seattle, near where I live, we have the only remaining coal gas producing plant in the USA- it ceased making coal gas in 1937, and made an oil based gas for industry until the mid 50s. I kinda doubt "the greenies" caused it to cease coal gas production 80 plus years ago- I blame capitalism, myself. It wasnt making money.

Back