What's new
What's new

Denbigh Drill Press

Dsel74

Aluminum
Last Sat I put a deposit down on this Denbigh drill press, I'm picking it up on Thursday.

Information and catalogs etc seem pretty scare on these machines.
69a8-a343-2cb7-9841.jpg73ec-059e-0f1a-1aea.jpg93c9-a115-3de2-4d06.jpg2984-ab45-070c-f941.jpg4765-1149-87f6-2b6d.jpg

Love to get some more info on the machine.

Limy, I think she is just beautiful. If this is middle of the road what is a higher standard drill and what features would it have over the Denbigh?

Here are some photos of ads from my old McPherson's catalogs. It says to request fully illustrated leaflet, pity I can't still do that.
DSC_2041.jpgDSC_2053_1.jpg

This is mine, complete with home-made belts. Sorry about the Picture quality.

BigD1.jpgBigD2.jpgBigD3.jpg

I've done some refurbishment and it could do with new White Metal Bearings.
The motor is currently 2.5hp Single Phse and I reckon it uses about 2 just getting everything rolling.

Alan

I have read they were selling them into the 70's. My catalogs had them in 1966.

Alan, I see yours has the original switch box plus a more recent addition. Could we get a better photo of the original, and do you know where the wiring ran?

Yes, I believe that's the original ON/OFF Switch. I like it to be a bit more accessible when I panic :-)
I'll get some better Pictures tomorrow - it's getting a bit dark now. I've had a move-around since the original ones were taken so it's better positioned. I have the original Guards but I haven't a clue where the original Wiring would have gone. Somewhere around the Outside I guess.

Cheers.

Alan

Hi guys,
At one stage I had one of this pattern of Denbigh drilling machine, It was a cool old thing, I know it was not the most up to date pattern of machine in its time scale, the more up to date geared head machines by other makers had overtaken it as a design, But it still continued into production until the early 1970 period, Due to lack of space & head room when i moved sadly I had to let it go, This was a decision I always have regretted also later I had to let my belt drive Barnes go as well
When running on "open gear - Back gear clutched out", It was pretty quite Ideal for drilling holes up to approx 5/8 dia. Above that size I always used the back gear one got a gear rumble, but not an annoying sound, & with its feeds on it was a powerful old machine One thing you learn early is not to overfill the gear box, especially with thin oil, It tends to throw the oil out along the horizontal shaft.

The speeds I could achieve with her were as follows--
Revs per minute of drill spindle with back gear engaged--- 80 52 34 22
Revs per minute of drill spindle without back gear engaged- 428 277 183 118

The drilling machine I had was the 24" machine distance from column to centre of drill spindle, About 1970, I came across a man who was selling a 20" pattern Denbigh, much smaller and exactly the same pattern down to a T, This would have been an admirable little machine for me, the only thing was one would have to have had the funds of Andrew Carnegie to cough up the exorbitant sum of money he was asking At this moment in time I am struggling with my scanner trying to scan a Denbigh sales leaflet of this machine.

Some slightly better Pictures - the Light isn't with me at the moment.

NewBD1.jpg NewBD2.jpg NewBD3.jpg

The Start/Stop Switch is just that, two Switches. I guess there must have been a Contactor somewhere else.

SSSwitch1.jpg SSSwitch2.jpg

I seem to have run out of Uploads.
See below.

Alan

Mine's been getting quite a workout lately. Been doing dozens of 1/2" holes in 20mm thick plate. Takes just over 4 1/2 min per hole not including set up. Also did 1" holes in 1/2" plate easily.

Mine is missing the auto feed cone pulley and belt. Is was wondering how does the auto feed shut off when the desired depth is reached?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine's been getting quite a workout lately. Been doing dozens of 1/2" holes in 20mm thick plate. Takes just over 4 1/2 min per hole not including set up. Also did 1" holes in 1/2" plate easily.

Mine is missing the auto feed cone pulley and belt. Is was wondering how does the auto feed shut off when the desired depth is reached?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
there a lever, just to the right of the spindle, between the feed gearbox and the spindle, the when the quill is lowered is depressed.

Just got my hand on one. it has a supplier tag on which I'll share a photo of later.

Everything seems to work fine but everything was stuffed with grease. What type of oil would you guys recommend ? and is there a different type to put in the gear box \ power feed box than in the bearing mounts and such ?
before the clean up
215295.jpg
after
IMG_20181031_091802.jpg

other topics that I'd love to hear your thoughts about are:
1. Motor position \ setup - where did you rig yours? did you make a tension mechanism for it ?
2. Belts - which material have you used ? how did you overcome the non tension-able setup of the drill ?

All these old drills were designed for lineshaft drive,and always took the overhead belt down at floor level,for reasons of strength...........consequently,they have a long belt up the top drive shaft.....Modern synthetic belts are pretty expensive,so either go with leather,or do what I do......find old V6 Holden Commodores,and cut off the polygroove belt.....lace this up with whippersnipper cord...and free belts.....run with the grooves to the pulleys.

All these old drills were designed for lineshaft drive,and always took the overhead belt down at floor level,for reasons of strength...........consequently,they have a long belt up the top drive shaft.....Modern synthetic belts are pretty expensive,so either go with leather,or do what I do......find old V6 Holden Commodores,and cut off the polygroove belt.....lace this up with whippersnipper cord...and free belts.....run with the grooves to the pulleys.

Thanks for the tip, any chance you've got a picture or to show how you did the lacing ?

Back