What's new
What's new

DeVlieg

tonylathes

Aluminum
Just discovered (amongst a set of about-to-be-thrown-way literature) some original DeVlieg publicity photographs - from what must be the late 1940s - showing Jigmils in use:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/devlieg-photographs
Also just put up a mid-1950s catalog - full of interesting details http://www.lathes.co.uk/devlieg-catalogues-1950s - and an article: http://www.lathes.co.uk/devlieg (your comments, corrections and observations on the latter most welcome..)
All the best, Tony.

One of the high-water marks, DeVlieg. "Drool maker" enviable, even.

Glad to see it join the collection, thank you!

Imagine a time when we were thrilled with a 1 hour 20 minute cycle time on production machining a shoe box size casting!

Imagine a time when we were thrilled with a 1 hour 20 minute cycle time on production machining a shoe box size casting!
But they are tits for onesy-twosies. If it will fit on the table, you can get to it. Hang the bar out 24" (I only had a little one), bottom of a hole you couldn't even see, 5" cutter, no chatter. Hold size ? all day long. Jig boring, all day long. Did I mention acc-u-rate ? And the table is totally supported no matter where you put the part, the accuracy is *throughout* the envelope, not just in the middle of a sweet spot, Even the damn accessories are enjoyable to use.

And running them, every control falls into your hand. Don't even have to think, just put your hand up and oh yeah, there's the feed lever, under my thumb. Rapid retract for measuring, hit the button, part backs out, measure, hit the button, comes back within tenth. Power drawbar. Power everything. Speeds and feeds up the wazoo.

For job-shop work, the damn things are just a joy. For production, compared to doing things with readouts, also a joy. You can set them up to auto-locate (sort of - they have highly accurate bars that go into v-grooves, like some other jig bores. You just hit the button, the machine rapid advances to the bar's location, backs up, re-advances slowly, unclamps the drive to eliminate pressure on the measuring device, clamps the table. Automatically. Built-in indicators to show you where it is. All it doesn't do is give you a little jolt in the ass to tell you it's ready.

If you like machining, you owe it to yourself to drive a Devlieg some day. If I were starting a job shop again, this would be one of the first machines I would look for. They make turret mills look like toys.

And they didn't go broke "because they couldn't compete" or anything. Third generation owner sold it off so he could sleaze around in the Bahamas boinking bimbos and packing his nose. New owners just wanted to strip the assets. Three weeks after the sale he had a heart attack and croaked. God makes funny jokes sometimes :)

btw, if you are talking about the 3B photo, that's not a shoebox-sized casting. 3B has maybe 48" of travel in X ? The 2B has 36 so I'm guessing a little here ... but that part is not as small as you think.

thanks for the photos, tonylathes. Devliegs are just a machine you don't get over ... (I do NOT want to hear from you Dixi guys ! Stow it ! :) )

Showing your youth, Wes!

Not having the sucker have to be hand-off to the next of three shifts, rather!

Shops living off heavy, but slow and underpowered, War One machinery survived for decades. Made it up on vaporware for hourly wages, no real spend on safety, (glasses and steel-toads, 'company' store, clawed back outta yer paycheck was the sum total) nor even wintertime heat. And that was a Union Shop, with a junkyard-dog of a local (USWA).

:(

But they are tits for onesy-twosies. If it will fit on the table, you can get to it. Hang the bar out 24" (I only had a little one), bottom of a hole you couldn't even see, 5" cutter, no chatter. Hold size ? all day long .....

Hi, those are very amusing comments (and most interesting). May I use one or two extracts in the article? It would surely liven it up!

But they are tits for onesy-twosies. If it will fit on the table, you can get to it. Hang the bar out 24" (I only had a little one), bottom of a hole you couldn't even see, 5" cutter, no chatter. Hold size ? all day long .....

Hi, those are very amusing comments (and most interesting). May I use one or two extracts in the article? It would surely liven it up!

As much as WE use your website to ID fossils and decide which to buy as an "upgrade"?

Could anyone possibly refuse?

:)

I worked as a devlieg 'pilot' in the late nineties making horizontal and rotary transfer machines which were for making engine components.
The other machine we made were blanchard type grinders.
Ive all ways promised my self a smaller version, I cant remember what no. Version I used but it must have weighed 10ton plus

As much as WE use your website to ID fossils and decide which to buy as an "upgrade"?

Many thanks. Sometimes these postings take days to research and prepare - but I'm not complaining, it's all great fun. However, slaving over a flat-bed scanner and the all post cropping, degausing and reassembling text and pictures does sometimes get to me....

Many thanks. Sometimes these postings take days to research and prepare - but I'm not complaining, it's all great fun. However, slaving over a flat-bed scanner and the all post cropping, degausing and reassembling text and pictures does sometimes get to me....

What sort of scanner would you rather have if wishes were fishes?

Also a 3" Devlieg will take up less floor space than a 3" HBM. Atleast the couple 3" Devlieg's I've seen look to be more compact than the 3" boat-anchor HBM I've got.

Also a 3" Devlieg will take up less floor space than a 3" HBM. Atleast the couple 3" Devlieg's I've seen look to be more compact than the 3" boat-anchor HBM I've got.

That HBM has a decent dance-card of its own. Just not the same choice of favorite partners. Up to you to make the best of it.

Mill, not lathe, separates the men from the boys. Manual Hor-bore is for the very Gods themselves to cut a shine with.
You'll see.

That HBM has a decent dance-card of its own. Just not the same choice of favorite partners. Up to you to make the best of it.

Mill, not lathe, separates the men from the boys. Manual Hor-bore is for the very Gods themselves to cut a shine with. You'll see.

Your preaching to the choir. But I think right now I'd rather have a running Devlig right that takes up a little less space than the HBM I've got.

But if I get the hunk of scrap I've got running, it would be a better fir for me. Built in rotab, boring/facing slide, threading (metric, and I'd have to reverse engineering the missing gears) and line boring would make my HBM a very versatile, machine. But as it sits, don't know if the thing will ever run again.

Its hard to compare them though.
Even though they are both horizontal they are completely different beasts

Yup, well aware of the differences, and eventually will have one to go next to the Moore 3B for posterity.

I just keep tripping over the hunk of scrap HBM I've got so my mind went immediately to size.

hunk of scrap HBM I've got so my mind went immediately to size.

Like a lot of other Old Iron, that "hunk of scrap" probably turned out decent parts under the hands of one of those "Gods" I mentioned the very day it was switched off for the last time.

Never saw, nor ever expect to see, no three-inch bar "running in place" to cool-down like a racehorse.

Like a lot of other Old Iron, that "hunk of scrap" probably turned out decent parts under the hands of one of those "Gods" I mentioned the very day it was switched off for the last time.

I'm sure of it, but it was shut off and then put out in the parking lot for atleast two years before I got it.

I'm sure of it, but it was shut off and then put out in the parking lot for atleast two years before I got it.

Ration the frustration. Hire some bright kids to clean the rust and crud off as if prepping for paint. Ones who LOVE it.

Best damned "summer job" two HS friends ever had was doing much the same. Layers of fossilized birdshit and feathers down to the roller-cam innards of the Cadillac V16 open touring car Pennsylvania Representative James Fulton's father drove when first elected to congress - Calvin Coolidge era or thereabouts.

Stunning motor car once cleaned up. Brewster Green and silver. PAINT was still good!
Needed new leather and top, wood replaced under the leather of the "trunk" which was exactly that. A loose item that sat leather-strapped to a Nickel-plated rack, aft, and outdoors.

The money was there, they were bing paid to enjoy what they loved, and on a true Classic, not 1951 flathead Mercury.

Clowns then had to go and get themselves tossed out of that virtual Garden of Eden...

... by teaching the old man's favoured Grey Parrot how to say "Jaaaag Offf !!!" and "Fuuuuuck !!!"

Parrot, by contrast, made out like a bandit.

Got himself a job as a private tutor passing on the language lore to a toddler who would go on to become a crackerjack CNC operator and build tiny metal kites.

What goes around ...

Back