DeVlieg teardown

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
dropped in on one man scientific shop--dedicated owner
purchased 3 inch DeVlieg jigmill from Watervliet Arsenal

and is tearing down the table with impressively complex sub-systems for
positioning and limit stop accuracy

build year of this unit 1962

incorporates resolvers for positioning repeatability which company states is 0.0001"

resolvers are covered with poly-ribbon which minimises swarf entry

special comment--table mechanism centerpiece is fixed lead screw and spline shaft worm and gear construct which allows part positioning under no load--
cutting forces are applied by moveable leadscrews on x, y and spindle z axes

table is locked down during material removal

a few shots of table with platten removed

Attachments

• 100_1238.jpg
    100_1238.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 100_1234.jpg
    100_1234.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 646
  • 100_1235.jpg
    100_1235.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 612
  • 100_1236.jpg
    100_1236.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 582
  • 100_1237.jpg
    100_1237.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 579
2------------------------------------

Attachments

• 100_1239.jpg
    100_1239.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_1240.jpg
    100_1240.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_1241.jpg
    100_1241.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_1242.jpg
    100_1242.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_1243.jpg
    100_1243.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 327
3----------------------------------

platen is removed from table also shown is smaller plate which indexes 90 degrees while sitting on platen

Attachments

• 100_1253.jpg
    100_1253.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_1244.jpg
    100_1244.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 100_1245.jpg
    100_1245.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_1246.jpg
    100_1246.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_1247.jpg
    100_1247.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 313
Mebfab

your comment is precisely what Bourn and Koch incorporates in todays version of DeVlieg badged tool

B&K purchased DeVlieg assets in 2004

from my perspective--there is a problem--product literature shows a cad rendering of 5-60 jigmil but google search fails to image one in the flesh

so--one wonders if such an animal is out there;)

Attachments

• afrthyerty.jpg
    afrthyerty.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 256
That's a high class machine. It must be a treat to work on.

Regards Tyrone.

There must be a least 1 million parts in a spiro-matic Devlieg. They're like a 50,000 lb container full to the brim with shafts and gears.

From my limited experience, I'd say at least half of the Devliegs still in use have been retrofitted with CNC controls and all the feed gears have been disabled or even removed.

Does B+K retrofit old CNC/NC to CNC or do they take the original manual machines and rebuild into a modern CNC?

Both. The limit is only financial. They do enclosures, tool changers, any CNC control you want, etc. I think they even do a sort of exchange where you buy a machine and they do their work for it, and after delivery they buy your old machine.

When I worked at a place making rotary and linear transfer machines(which made engine components) we called using the devliegs piloting not operating!

Tony G's added documents on DeVlieg trigger this remembrance of pics I snapped a month back of pm member Cyclotron Al's project to recondition his 3H 48 model DeVlieg build year 1962---out of Watervliet Arsenal

positioning system is most intricate and Al will likely comment in this regard

the mechanical clock mechanisms I am guessing were constructed by sub-contractor ?Waltham --all in all a pinnacle of american tool-making

DEVLIEG 3-48 - Google Photos

I have a Devlieg 3H-48 that has sheared the draw bar key. Any information on how to replace this key would be very helpful. I have a new key and the drawing on where the shear key is located but it doesn't give any information on how to get there.

Thank you.

You should start a new thread.

Basically, you have to run the bar out most of the way. Then remove the bolts on the front bearing cap on the front side of the tool lock motor housing (the part that moves on the dovetail with the spindle bar). Then lock the spindle bar and back the spindle out. That should leave the bar, bearing cap, and bearing in place and move the tool lock motor back.

You'll see the coupling for the tool lock mechanism. The key is right there. It's pretty simple. There's a spring and a collar and some other goodies, but pretty simple.

Assembly is reverse. Put some Permatex #3 on the bearing housing flange before you put it back together. You will lose a small amount of oil, so top off the tool lock motor reservoir when done.

The manual explains how to do it. If you don't have a manual, you can buy one from Bourn and Koch.

Your correct I should have started a new thread and I need your help with a couple more problems.
1. I can’t seem to figure out how to start a new thread. I’m not very familiar with these web forums.
2. The small plunger that sets below the spindle and is spring loaded. I don’t know the correct tension setting on the spring and I would like to know it’s purpose. It will lock into the gear if enough tension is on the spring. I have the manuals but I can’t seem to find any information.

Your correct I should have started a new thread and I need your help with a couple more problems.
1. I can’t seem to figure out how to start a new thread. I’m not very familiar with these web forums.
2. The small plunger that sets below the spindle and is spring loaded. I don’t know the correct tension setting on the spring and I would like to know it’s purpose. It will lock into the gear if enough tension is on the spring. I have the manuals but I can’t seem to find any information.

If you click on "Antique machinery and history" near the top of this page a new page will come and you will see a box with "Post New Thread" in it ,make sure when you write the title it describes what the thread is about and that you don't make any mistakes in it (the title) as it is difficult to change once posted.

Teardown

dropped in on one man scientific shop--dedicated owner
purchased 3 inch DeVlieg jigmill from Watervliet Arsenal

and is tearing down the table with impressively complex sub-systems for
positioning and limit stop accuracy

build year of this unit 1962

incorporates resolvers for positioning repeatability which company states is 0.0001"

resolvers are covered with poly-ribbon which minimises swarf entry

special comment--table mechanism centerpiece is fixed lead screw and spline shaft worm and gear construct which allows part positioning under no load--
cutting forces are applied by moveable leadscrews on x, y and spindle z axes

table is locked down during material removal

a few shots of table with platten removed

I know this thread is old. I am working with a Devlieg 3b-48. I need to get the platen/table off. There is no power to the machine. I could use some tips on removing the platen/table and then the saddle.

Back