What's new
What's new

Die Filer

Lester Bowman

Hot Rolled
I'm in need of a small bench top style Die Filer. Almost any style would work... belt driven or motor. 8" x 8" Min table size but I can enlarge it if necessary. I would ask for it to be shipped.

Even a small setup missing the table might work. Anyone have anything ? Thanks !

I'm in need of a small bench top style Die Filer. Almost any style would work... belt driven or motor. 8" x 8" Min table size but I can enlarge it if necessary. I would ask for it to be shipped.

Even a small setup missing the table might work. Anyone have anything ? Thanks !

die filer - tools - by owner - sale

Or:
DIE FILING MACHINE - ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS - 376 - tools - by owner -...
Or:
DIE FILING MACHINE - ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS - 376 - tools - by owner -...
Or:
Ideal Tool & Die Mfg. Co. - DUPLEX FILING MACHINE - tools - by owner...

:D

The smaller of those would be perfect but shipping would kill the deal. Are there smaller Die Filer's made ?

Of course there are, but you said you want an 8x8 minimum table.

Levin and Son published plans for a filing attachment to fit a WW type watch lathe (like yours) in their books. I have one that was well made by someone, but it uses 1/8 round shank machine files and the table is tiny. Nicholson and Heller made the 1/8 and 1/4 round shank Swiss pattern machine files, but not for many years, so they are rare now.

In 1976, I designed and built a die filer/saw that used the 1/8 and 1/4 round shank files with a 6x6 table, so you have that option.

I think Keller was making their die filer until around 2000, but they went out of business. I had a couple of them and they were decent machines. The 8 inch machine files for any of the bench die filers are rare, even if you get a machine.

Larry

DSC00384.jpg DSC00383.jpg DSC00381.jpg DSC00380.jpg DSC00382.jpg

I have a Milwaukee die filer with over-arm support and tilting table I could let go. The table is 11" square. Ships from Louisville, KY, USA. (I can't see your location on my phone.)

Couple pictures here: Login • Instagram

Edit: Looked at Doug's link, you won't want to ship this one either.

I have an Illinois Tool Works die filer, mine is WWII vintage with war finish tags on it. It is in near new condition and fully tooled with over a 100 NOS files. Sorry, it is not for sale.

What I can tell you is these are very nice machines. Even though smallish, they are very heavy. Maybe the guy could take it apart and ship it in a few boxes otherwise it would have to go on a pallet. At $ 60 it is a deal.

Those are really nice files Larry. My boxes are mostly the same shapes, I like the assortments.

BTW Lester, My filer is super quiet which is so nice.

Lester,
Maybe you are not interested in something that isn’t plug and play but there are a number of kits for small die filers that were built as lathe attachments .
Hemingway Die filer & saw for model engineer
YouTube
I remember seeing one similar to this one that may have been described in the Home Shop Machinist or Live steam in the 1980 s
I think my late friend had someone make the patterns for him and he cast them in his home foundry ,.
Die Filer
YouTube
If something like this would suit you there maybe some available on EBay that are anywhere from a casting kit to one that has been completed and working or somewhere in between .
They are not large and heavy so shipping shouldn’t be too bad .
You could probably set something up to drive it with a small variable speed motor if you didn’t want to use it on your lathe .
more examples here.
Die Filing Attachment for Myford Lathe - Google Search
If there are any live steam clubs in your area someone there know where there are some castings or one that is running or close to it .
Regards,
Jim

Earlier this year, I sold my circa 1920 filing attachment for a 7" swing Cataract lathe. It featured a variable stroke Scotch yoke mechanism and was extremely well designed and made. It had been mounted to a bench with a motor and belt drive when I bought it. Here are pictures of it sitting on a 9" swing Hardinge lathe. I have never seen another one in the 40+ years I have been collecting Hardinge stuff.

Larry

DSC02204.jpg DSC02205.jpg DSC02206.jpg DSC02208.jpg DSC02213.jpg

Even if the shipping exceeds the selling price ….who cares ?

You look at the "total cost" to get that to your door.
The cost of the item, the shipping cost, any incidentals.

Buy all of them, and put inside one 3'x 3' pallet box.

Shipping cost will probably be very close as for just qty (1).

I REALLY appreciate ALL these replies and most certainly I have gotten an education on Die filer's. THANK YOU all very much. Here are some picture's of what I want to recreate using a Die Filer. This is a small commercially made Steam engine governor 3/4" NPT size.

I am beginning to figure out what I'll be needing to machine the parts. This top standard where the two governor balls arc are an ideal design to blend the profile's together using filing buttons after temporary pinning in place.

Having technical difficulty's here uploading pics. I'll have to retake the picture's as I think it is my camera. Sufficient to say these are small scale steam governor's "in the works " and there is much filing to be done to match the quite early original I am using to develop a smaller governor.

So I understand the more mass the better..and those ARE some wonderful pics and bargains I see on Die filers. And yes...if I could find one near me in Central California it would be a no brainer to pick it up. I don't really want to build one preferring to spend what little time and energy I have left to build Steam Governor's rather than tooling. I would rather just find one to USE..because for what I need it for it is perfect.

Doesn't really need to be an antique or vintage.. just a small good used Die Filer to use for this singular purpose and probably not use it much after that.This is why I don't want to spend much time or money buying a heavy but wonderful machine tool. I'm downsizing as well and not buying heavy machinery anymore.. although some of those Die Filer's shown are a nice size and good price.

Just need something dependable I can use and reasonable in price..which can be very fair depending on the machine.
Sorry about the lack of pic's.. I'll try and retake them.

Find out about Fastenal shipping, and ask Seller if they will put them all in a used pallet crate (oodles of them around here for free)

My Daughter had to get involved to fix the image posting problem :) Here you go. The Die Filer I received from Greg J. a good friend and a member here on PM. One pic shows how the table is able to be slightly angled and locked into place. A Scotch Yoke mechanism seems to be a favorite design feature in these small units. This one measures 12" high flat belt drive. Nice !

Another pic shows an old motorize reduction unit I was able to get running per Joe Michaels instructions. They are mated up now and do a great job. Anyone have a clue who manufactured the Die Filer ?

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 191
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 187
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg