What's new
What's new

Die filer

DeSelle

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I have seen several posts in the past where people have asked for die filers for sale so I believe it would be ok for another request. I would like to have one but I don’t see anything for sale locally or on eBay within reason. I have thought about the MLA kit option but would prefer to buy a small one if it’s affordable. Anyone here have one for sale or a link to one? What should I expect to pay for one? It’s possible that they are out of range for me at this time

Thanks

Nathan

I have one i would part with , could pickup south of wichita or i can pallet it and take it to fastenal for shipping at derby kansas , maybe $350 but i cant get to it untill it dries out / brian ( not at buffco anymore ) this is a band filer about the size of a floor band saw

Hi all,

I have seen several posts in the past where people have asked for die filers for sale so I believe it would be ok for another request. I would like to have one but I don’t see anything for sale locally or on eBay within reason. I have thought about the MLA kit option but would prefer to buy a small one if it’s affordable. Anyone here have one for sale or a link to one? What should I expect to pay for one? It’s possible that they are out of range for me at this time

Thanks

Nathan

Fastenal is no longer doing LTL freight. No big loss in my mind. I looked into having several items shipped by them and never found them to be a particularly good value, especially given that I would still have to do the final leg on my own.

Just letting you know.

Be safe

Jeremy

I got a Milwaukee die filer from Craigslist last year, about two weeks after I finished the job that could have used it. Paid $50 for a running, but dirty machine. Spent an afternoon cleaning and making a little cover for the table. It's been sitting ever since.

I ground tangs on some broken files to fit the machine. (So it cuts on the down stroke.) Tried to buy a stack of the correct files on eBay, but never got a response from the seller about combined shopping. I'll try again when I have a job for the machine.

As an FYI the older Delta scroll saws (model 40-440 and similar) could also be used as a die filer. I'm sure they aren't as stout as machines purpose built, but they seem to be more than adequate. I purchased one about 10 years ago and have used it a few times as a die filer.

Here's a link to a 1941 Delta Tool catalog. Scroll saws start on page 20, with die filer accessories on page 24.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/22522.pdf

Buffco,

I appreciate that offer but I think that’s too big for me. I already have a DoAll upright and space is getting tight in the shop. I’ll check out the scroll saw option and keep looking for one of the small ones

The overarm and slide is reasonably complex, but the nice thing about Oliver is that (at least with mine) is that it will hold essentially any form of file. The jaws are very versatile. And it takes up very little floor space.

I had a Milwaukee, but it had a larger footprint, needed a bench, and was in need of a serious rebuild. I was not about to do that, given the occasional use.

Die filers are like shapers..... an old tech sort of machine, which many people (often/mostly hobby types) think are just essential, and will pay high prices for.

And, they are VERY useful.... about once every three years for a filer. That one time, they are the very best tool for the job. The rest of their existence they merely hold down the floor.

That said, I'd keep a die filer and get rid of any number of shapers (aside from a really large one). The filer is useful once every three years, a small shaper stretches that out to maybe 8 years.

While I have a shaper, mill and planer there are just some profiles that a die filer is really the best option for. Especially if you are test fitting parts where removing it from the shaper to check a fit then setting back up to shave a little more off Is a hassle

I have wanted one for a long time I just don’t see them around DFW on Craigslist.

Fastenal is no longer doing LTL freight. No big loss in my mind. I looked into having several items shipped by them and never found them to be a particularly good value, especially given that I would still have to do the final leg on my own.

Just letting you know.

Be safe

Jeremy

Fastenal is still shipping items, just sent a Volstro milling attachment to another member here.....not all locations offer shipping?

Their prices aren’t the greatest, but have had excellent service from them!

Kevin

Buffco,

I appreciate that offer but I think that’s too big for me. I already have a DoAll upright and space is getting tight in the shop. I’ll check out the scroll saw option and keep looking for one of the small ones

Do all made a band for filing dies. To me it looks like a rube-goldberg but better minds than mine came up with it. If you already have a doall it might be fun to fine the band filer and try it out.

I was aware of that from the manual but I haven’t wrapped my head around how you would get inside profiles done? I wonder if the band unhooks somehow?

As an FYI the older Delta scroll saws (model 40-440 and similar) could also be used as a die filer. I'm sure they aren't as stout as machines purpose built, but they seem to be more than adequate. I purchased one about 10 years ago and have used it a few times as a die filer.

Here's a link to a 1941 Delta Tool catalog. Scroll saws start on page 20, with die filer accessories on page 24.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/22522.pdf

I have a dewalt scroll saw 788. And it would easily do the job, you would have to take some files and ground some flats on them so that the clamps can hold them. They also sell carbide grit files .. I have some .. not sure where I got them since they have been used.

Also you could make a jig saw do the work by making a table to mount it upside down, and again grind the files to fit the clamp... don't get a tooless unit, get the clamp type, so you don't have to make the file as exacting.. the tooless requires exact shape.

Buffco,

In that case best option would be to make one and the MLA kit one is fairly small.

Back