What's new
What's new

Direct indexing by High Number Indexing Attachment- Cincinnati

alum100k

Cast Iron
It consists of three plates of two sides. So A-B is one plate.
A 189 177 171 147 129 117 99 91 89 48 30
B 199 183 169 157 141 127 111 97 81 67 36

C 197 181 167 153 139 123 109 93 79 46 34
D 193 179 163 151 137 121 107 89 77 44 32

E 191 175 161 149 133 119 103 87 73 42 26
F 187 173 159 143 131 113 101 83 71 38 28

I guess they could be adapted or modified but not by me.

It consists of three plates of two sides. So A-B is one plate.
A 189 177 171 147 129 117 99 91 89 48 30
B 199 183 169 157 141 127 111 97 81 67 36

C 197 181 167 153 139 123 109 93 79 46 34
D 193 179 163 151 137 121 107 89 77 44 32

E 191 175 161 149 133 119 103 87 73 42 26
F 187 173 159 143 131 113 101 83 71 38 28

I guess they could be adapted or modified but not by me.

You may not HAVE to adapt.

First, put them into the more common order, lower number first. Become aware that whilst bore, diameter, and affixing screws are all over the lot, many and several DH, the "division" sets fall into roughly three family groupings of "numbers", Brown & Sharpe's original 3 plate set the most often copied.

Second, it isn't rocket-fu to adapt an "alien" plate. Simply bush an oversize one or extend the shaft with a down-size for undersized bore.

But "Why"?

My handy-tiny Ellis DH was made with an "extended" collection of plates. Took a while, but now I have them all.

And then.. there is an Old Skewl trick, even so.

It has a 40:1 worm ratio.

Not uncommon for a rotab/DH to have a NINETY to one ratio.

Or the reverse. "Whatever" yah got, the point is the ratios are not 2:1 or such, but "odd".

Now "Do the math".

ALMOST all of yer divisions come out differently, BUT.. produce a division you already have anyway. No gain. But "almost" isn't the end of the tale.

Not ALL produce duplicates... so yah pick up a few MORE numbers.

If you still need to go overly anal as to "having it ALL"?

Make up a chart of what yer missing ....and have a CNC guy make you a plate with a few rows.

I can't really be bothered. "High" numbers are skeerce. See Bulova "Accutron" wheels.

Otherwise, if "industry" in general had NEEDED the missing divisions the past 150 years?

They'd already be ON a plate.

:D

I have the high number set as well as the standard A & B "pair" for my Edgewick made Cinci cclone.

High number set gives all division numbers up to 200, all even numbers and numbers that can be divided by 5 up to and including 400 except 225, 275, 325 and 375. Plus a bunch of extras if you are really into maths. The head has a gear drive input too so can do differential indexing and other clever stuff although the drive is really for gear making and similar.

Whats interesting is that there are some numbers beyond 400 that the standard set can give but the wide range set cannot.

Always the wide range attachment if you are feeling insane I guess.

I got the wide range set for pure swank not need. Worth £20 for the "I got more numbers than you." thing.

Clive

Yes. I understand and CNC and newer ways clocked the dividing to where anything could be achieved. To what purpose ? for the odd stuff ? Nope. It is all about production and we don't have these huge machining centers- or my friends, including myself. Oh Thermite, It isn't about gathering things which "may" be needed. It is more to putting things back together. There are shops and not always in "flyover" counties that use these wonderful machines. Yes I considered listing the ring holes in ascending order but it is the order And should be going to the correct head.
You know what I hate, well many things but when somebody basically steals objects by good intentions. I've had these plates sitting indoors for 30 years and couldn't bear to modify them because they actually were for a purpose to another head. Somebody needs them and my heads don't fit them.
So I have to face that I'm going down the tubes and even a #3 machine is not on the menu.

Worth £20 for the "I got more numbers than you." thing.

Aye, well.. "if the electricity goes away", anyhow!

:)

Once "Absolute" optical encoders went to 64,000 and a bit per? And "differential" still conveys to the newer technology, "interpolation" needs a clean-room and uber-stable temps?

Game over!

OTOH, it IS "kinda nice" to KNOW, not have to worry whether or not yah can support the Old Iron - making a bustid gear or such - with OTHER "Old Iron" / Ancient Metrology.

For as accurate as it actually NEEDS to be... and - realistically?

For as long as anyone still gives enough of a damn to deal with the TEDIUM of it all.

My view, that Eliis is MEANT to gather dust so long as I have the cash available to "just buy" a gear made by some more expert craftsman or team-of..who.. ta da.. makes gears all day, every day, all year, year AFTER year..and to a high standard indeed. Of course.

Just because one CAN "DIY" doesn't always make it a wise use of scarce TIME.

:D

Well, Clive. Thanks for chiming but I should address Andy St first. When you say clone, it is probably millimeters ( or isn't ?) Mine are direct fit to the Cincinnati heads. I'll repeat some numbers here: The plates' OD is 8 13/16" ID is 1.5" and four screw circle is 1.875" which is 1 7/8". So, yes if yours are the same, by all means put them for sale here.
This is cool conversation and there is shipping charges. I would think all three plates with wax paper and bubble wrap, surrounded by foam and serious tape around the box.

Well, Clive. Thanks for chiming but I should address Andy St first. When you say clone, it is probably millimeters ( or isn't ?) Mine are direct fit to the Cincinnati heads. I'll repeat some numbers here: The plates' OD is 8 13/16" ID is 1.5" and four screw circle is 1.875" which is 1 7/8". So, yes if yours are the same, by all means put them for sale here.
This is cool conversation and there is shipping charges. I would think all three plates with wax paper and bubble wrap, surrounded by foam and serious tape around the box.

Agree "horse trading" beats having to modify them - or have them MADE!

So, yes, by all means, this can be a useful thread in general if it encourages "hoarders" to chime-in and get idled goods back together with what they were meant to FIT.

Even IF.. the restored set / combination STILL sits "idle".

:)

I think they are interesting for direct indexing. It was good to speak with you. Perhaps that was the best thing that happened. One small point is there is a serial # on one side of one dividing plate. The "A" side is 10525, "C" side 10526, "E" side 10527. May help another.

Was trying to find the head before reposting. Still looking as we recently moved a lot of equipment around. I did find one of the chucks and the tail / foot stock. It's a "newer" Cincinnati with a 50 NMTB taper and the 10" size. It's still not clear if you are wanting to trade and or sell the plates?
I will post back here when I find the head and get the plate mounting size.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 64
I cheat! Having a Moore #3 Jig borer I make my own plates. I put it the number of holes needed so I don't make a mistake and usually don't need the wiper. Yeah I have the original plates but with all those holes it easy to make a mistake!

Was trying to find the head before reposting. Still looking as we recently moved a lot of equipment around. I did find one of the chucks and the tail / foot stock. It's a "newer" Cincinnati with a 50 NMTB taper and the 10" size. It's still not clear if you are wanting to trade and or sell the plates?
I will post back here when I find the head and get the plate mounting size.

Andy

If the chuck and tail stock are available, please let me know.

Back